Saturday, January 21, 2006

A Review In Progress

Thank you for the amazing response to my Grocery Game: Yay or Nay entry. I am touched (and amazed) that so many people are watching this blog. I got a few comments and many e-mails abut the game, and really, the response has been about half and half. I got several testimonials about how amazing it is, about how they really do get free stuff and it helped them do amazing things on their limited incomes. Others said that it was okay- saved some, but they could (or do) keep up with sales themselves, apply coupons, etc.

My husband and I talked about it, and we have decided that it would be fun to try it. So, for you, gentle readers, I will spend one whole dollar in the pursuit of truth. I will do the four week trial, and then write a review of it, with possible updates along the way. In my area, they only track one store. I will compare this one store (with double coupons) to the other double coupon store that I am aware of. I will also throw in Wal-Mart.

The Rules I will follow:

1. I will only buy items that I need, will use and/or would have stocked up on anyway. Therefore, I cannot count savings on Hamburger Helper or Soda, even if it is free. I do realize the value of donating items I would not personally eat to the food bank, but my primary motivation in this experiment is to see if it will actually save money. Money saved means more resources I have to serve those is need!

2. I will check out the prices of the items at Wal-Mart and the other double coupon store before I buy the List item. This will take some time, but I want to be sure I am getting the best deal.

3. I will also compare generic labels and other name brands and sizes, to make sure that this particular item is actually the least expensive. I am not attached to very many name brands, I am attached to price.

4. The 'savings' price will reflect the lowest possible price I would have actually paid for a comparable product.

Ie: Store 1 Price beans: 1.25 a can. Coupon: 50 cents- doubles to make 1.00-
total price: 25 cents a can
Store 2 Price beans: 1.00 a can: Coupon 50 cents, no double- .50 cents a can.

In this case, I only really saved .75 cents a can, not the dollar that the coupon saved me at store one.

5. At the end of the experiment, I will post my total savings- but I am also going to factor in how much I would have spent on the full service (10 dollars for 8 weeks, or 5 dollars for the experiment) in my savings. I am not going to factor in the cost of a newspaper subscription, as we currently have a free subscription. If I pay for any "clipping service" (aka: Buy coupons on E-bay, etc) I will factor in that expense as well. I do it so you don't have to!

Keep checking for updates!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a smart way to do it! I applaud you for having a heck of a lot more organization and sense than I did when I began! I can't wait to hear your results! And don't forget to do Walgreens if there's one in your area - that list is always free.