Saturday, February 18, 2006

How to Stay Warm

It is COLD in my area today! We don't turn our heat very high as a money saving strategy. We keep it at 65 in the day, and at 55-60 night. Part of the reason we don't heat the apartment more is the fact that our insulation is very poor.

Here's what we do to stay warm:

We sleep with an electric blanket. This item is worth its weight in rubies! We have a queen sized bed but a twin size blanket, and it works out. They can be expensive, but if you watch E-bay, sometimes you can get one for a good price, but if you have to pay full price for one, it may be worth it when you calculate heat savings.

We wear our coats in the house on very cold days like today. Layering is also very popular in our home.

We drink gallons of hot tea! We found a brand that charges a dollar for a box of 100 bags, and we make a whole pot with a bag. Nothing like a hot drink on a cold day!

We made cardboard covers for our windows. They really make a difference, and I wish I had know about them when we lived in a place with single pane windows. In Colorado.

We eat soup for supper. Again, nothing like a hot food on a cold day!

What do you people do to stay warm on cold days? Leave a comment! Let's help each other stay warm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

To stay warm, I COOK! In Houston summers I loathe the kitchen, but in winter it's fabulous. So I make things I know I'll enjoy standing over a hot stove to make. If I'm smart about it, I can make 2 or 3 dinners, freeze some, and we can eat pretty well for several days when things get busy.

On really cold days, I also tackle the heavy labor around-the-house jobs. This has two benefits. I can keep warm by working hard, and when I'm done I can justify a warm shower in the middle of the day.

We don't live much in the bedroom during the day, so we have a large blanket blocking the window. It's good insulation day or night, summer or winter, so our bedroom is the most comfy place in the house. Which, of course, means we COULD spend more time there.

Anonymous said...

Agree with everything Fish said and wear a hat inside, fingerless gloves, heavy socks (my son finally gave me down slippers, ask for them as a gift if you can), 10 minutes every hour do something very physical to get you body warmed up (run up and down the stairs, jumping jacks, etc) but don't get sweaty. Oh yes, only wear natural fibers or those synthetics made to wick moisture away.

Anonymous said...

Cold here too in Wisconsin - we are at -2 with windchills at -22

So today I do have the heat higher at 65...normally 60. I have all the blinds open since it is sunny here.

I do put plastic on the major windows. Son's bedroom and living room. I have insulation on all the window seams.

Today we are drinking a lot of hot chocolate. Tightwad Gazette recipe and I have everything on hand. I have laundry hanging which adds moisture to the air and moist air feels warmer.

Cooking in the oven so that warms up the house. Lots of blankets and slippers on.

It will only last a day or two so we can survive.

Please tell us more about your cardboard window covers. I would love to do this next year.

Kim C. said...

We left Ohio to live in San Antonio. Average January temp: 66. Oh yeah!
Honestly, that's not why we moved but I'm sure loving it. Our utilities are far cheaper, and the cost of living is well below average.
On cool mornings, we do start out with a cup of cocoa or something else warm, then we get right on chores. I tell cold, whiny kids that they will warm up once they get fully dressed (socks, shoes, jacket if necessary) and start *moving*.

Naomi Haverland said...

I sometimes channel my dryer vent into the house and cover the end with panty hose to catch the lent (you can actually buy a device that is meant for this). There is no reason to waist warm moist air by channeling it outside.

Another thing I do to save money that drives my husband crazy- I don't flush the toilet everytime I go (especially in the middle of the night). It saves water. In foreign countries this is customary.

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

That dryer thing sounds nice! I'll have to do that one when I have a dryer.