Thursday, February 23, 2006

Making Leftovers Yummy!

Today I made "Taco Pie" out of leftovers. It turned out really well! Everything in it was leftover, except the pie crust, milk, and eggs.

Remember that four pound chicken? We've been eating it. I like most leftover things without having to fancy them up, but meat gets kind of funky to me, so after a day or two, I have to disguise it in something. Tacos sounded good, but we did not have any shells or tortillas, and I was not in the mood to make any. I was also in a creative mood. So I poked around in the fridge to see what we needed to use up. Here's what I did:

I made a pie crust for a 9 inch pie pan. Any basic cookbook will tell you how to make an excellent one.

I then mixed 1 and 1/2 cup of leftover chicken, 1 cup of my super bargain cheddar cheese, 1 and 1/2 cup of leftover salsa, one tablespoon (or so) of hot sauce, and a tablespoon of leftover jalapenos in a bowl.

In a separate bowl, I mixed 3/4 cup of milk and three eggs.

I poured the chicken mixture in the pie crust, then poured the egg/milk mixture over that. I baked it at 435 for 10 minutes, then lowered the heat to 350 and baked for 45 minutes. It was YUMMY. Next time, I think I'd use one less egg, but we're definitely going to move "Taco Pie" into our leftover chicken rotation.

2 comments:

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

I love when I have a sucessful leftover creation. Of course my standbys for little bits of this and that are fried rice or stone soup.

Anonymous said...

I did a similar thing recently, but used cornmeal to make a "polenta-ish" base instead of a pie crust. Super easy, tasty, filling, and possibly best of all, very cheap!