Thursday, February 09, 2006

Pennies are money too.

My husband just e-mailed to say that a coworker gave him .61 cents in pennies, for free. She had to many, and was trying to give them away, and nobody wanted them. She did not want to exchange them for dimes or anything either. Now we're .61 cents richer!

I never understood this aversion to pennies. Get five of them and exchange them for nickels. Twenty five of them and get a quarter. Or one hundred of them and get a dollar...you get the idea.

At our first apartment, our neighbor gave a pizza delivery person his tip in pennies. He threw it down in the parking lot. The next day, we picked them up, and it was a couple of dollars.

Don't want your pennies? Send them to me! I'll gladly take them off your hands!

Edited to clarify: We did not give the pizza guy the tip in pennies, somebody else did! I would never do that- that is a lot of heavy change for somebody who must carry it around all night. But I still can't believe that he just dumped it in the parking lot. (We heard him do it- he was rather disgusted with the penny tip.)

Fun Fact: On the rare occasions that we order pizza, we pick it up. We don't have our pizza delivered so we can avoid the tip and fee. We usually make our own pizza at home.

6 comments:

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Me too, Jilly! If I have too many in my wallet, I'll put it in a jar I have. When it's full, we cash it in and mail the money off to my husband's evil student loan. :) Yet I encounter dislike towards pennies often. My husband said he used to rescue pennies that his brother threw away! and I know people who won't pick up a penny on the sidewalk.

Anonymous said...

When I set up my son's savings account. They gave me a small plastic pig. I have been putting in pennies, dimes and nickels. Quarters I have for laundry. The pig is over 1/2 full and mostly pennies. All that will go towards my medical bills.

Anonymous said...

How did you give the pizza guy the pennies- in a bag I presume.

Then he's a sad guy for not throwing them in his car and taking them to the nearest bank.

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

I did not give them to him, our neighbor did. I don't know if they gave them in a bag or not. We heard him do it- he seemed to be throwing them down in disgust. We waited a whole day to go get them, just in case he came back for them or had accidently dropped them.

When I was a waitress, people would put pennies in their glasses as tips when they were annoyed with the server.

Anonymous said...

I taught my boys when they were little (now 24, 28 & 31) to ALWAYS pick up pennies & any other change. When they had $1.00 worth I let them spend it. Took a while to get to the $1.00 but I think it helped them cause they still pick up pennies!!

Gracie said...

My kids love rolling pennies and they too can see how quickly those pennies can add up- sometimes they have a couple dollars! We have a few wonderful dollar stores they can go to and one dollar store even has clearance! (at least 1/2 off!!) they still value even a penny.