Sunday, March 26, 2006

Well, we did it.


We bought the freezer! It was on sale, of course! This was an excellent gift from my beloved husband- I am a woman who gets excited about appliances. Now I can't wait to fill it with rock bottom sale meats and such, to lower our grocery bill as much as possible while still eating like Kings!

Thanks to all who gave advice. I really appreciate it.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for you! Did you get ut used or brand-spankin' new? Inquiring minds...

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Fish- It was brand new, from Sears. It was on sale for $147, which is the best price I've seen for the size I got. Of course, I just know that I'll see one for 137 next week...it always happens that way!

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

Get a dry erase board and marker and post it near the freezer so you can list stuff as it goes in (I list the item and then little hash marks) and you can erase them as they come out. Otherwise you will forget that you have 6lbs of ground beef on the very bottom :)

PS-have you ever considered adding an RSS feed to your blog so that folks can subscribe?

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Great idea Jenn! I was just wondering how I'd remember what all was in there under everything.

I do have an RSS feed (I think that's what it is anyway)- if you look under "My Most Popular Articles, there's a little button that says + Bloglines, where you can subscribe. That's what I use for the journals I follow. I'll move it to somewhere more noticeable.

Mom2fur said...

Wow, you got some buy on that baby! It'll pay you back in no time with the money you save.
I like Jenn's dry erase board idea. May I add one more suggestion? Jot down the date when you put in an item. That way you'll use things within their 'safe' range.
Have fun with your new toy! I'm like you...I love appliances. I'd rather have a new attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer than jewelry. (Well, almost, LOL!)

:)Mom2fur

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

We love ours (I think it's twice the size, but we're a family of 4).

My favorite thing to buy and freeze is bread outlet bread. We can buy it 3/$1 (100%Whole Wheat) and pull it out as needed. I stock up once a month.

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

Those milk jugs that DLFM mentioned are good. Also, in the summer you can just pull them out of the freezer and put them in your cooler to keep drinks cool-then when it melts you have no mess and you can even stick it back in the freezer to refreeze!

Mom2fur said...

I was also thinking: now that you have a freezer, if you don't already own a vaccuum sealer, it would be an excellent investment!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new freezer!

[Also, regarding RSS feeds, it's been my experience that on any blogspot blog, you can just tack on atom.xml to the url and it'll bring you to the feed. For instance if I was reading this blog in FeedDemon, I could point my browser to http://frugalhomemakerplus.blogspot.com/atom.xml to subscribe, regardless of whether there was a link anywhere.]

Anonymous said...

I agree with the vacuum sealer idea.

My wife and I use ours on a weekly basis. We buy large quantities of meat, and then divide the meat up into small quantities that we can eat in one sitting, and freeze them individually in vacuum bags.

That way, you can pull out only what you need, throw the entire bag in hot water to thaw, and the rest of your meat stays frozen and you will never have freezer burn!

-Grant
www.TheCornerOfficeBlog.com

Mommaroo2 said...

A new freezer! So exciting! I've waited soooo long for one, just got it recently. The house we rent now has the tiniest freezer I've ever seen (even though the fridge isn't that small) so we really needed it. Searched forever, asked around on freecycle.org and craig's list. Finally found a good size chest freezer at a yard sale. It was $25, but the people were desperate to get rid of it, so they took $15. Works good, just is a little banged up and has some paint stains on the top. It's going in the garage anyway. It's older, so I know it may use more electricity, but how much will it really use in the next year or so til we get a new upright freezer? Not enough to make up for the difference between new and $15! lol.

The vacuum sealer is a great idea. I want one of those bad too. The nice thing is I can buy milk, meat, and other stuff when it's cheap, and freeze it. Didn't think you could freeze milk, but my friend does and she says it tastes fine. I think she said it de-homogenizes it, so you have to shake it up to mix the cream in before you pour some. We get occassional sales at our food store here on meat, especially chicken, that is incredible. One time they had 20 ounce packs of chicken for a dollar each, no limit! I got only ten, because we just had the small freezer. And I barely squeezed it all in!! In fact, some of it had to go in the fridge and be cooked the next day.

Tomorrow we're cooking up a storm to package and freeze for future meals. Can't wait to have a full freezer. Such a money-saver, and a nice feeling of security in case of "broke weeks"!