Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Ham Diaries: Ham Bone Soup

If you had bone-in ham, you should try this delicious and simple soup! This will be our Sunday supper. The crock pot makes it super easy.

Ham Bone Soup

What You Need:

  • 1 ham bone with some meat
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 (15.25 ounce) can kidney beans (I use dried, but canned is fine- see note)
  • 3 cubed potatos
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cubed
  • 4 cups water
  • 6 cubes chicken bouillon
Here's what you do:

  1. Place the ham bone, onion, tomatoes, kidney beans, potatoes, and green pepper into a 3 quart or larger slow cooker. Dissolve the bouillon cubes in water, and pour into the slow cooker.
  2. Cover, and cook on High until warm. Reduce heat to Low, and continue to cook for 5 to 6 hours.
Serve with bread for a great meal!

Note- if you use dried beans, cook them BEFORE you use them in the soup. Because of the salt, the beans will be crunchy if you throw them in the soup without cooking them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your recipe sounds yummy. Too late for our Easter ham bone...it was in split pea soup today! I'll save yours for the next after holiday soup kettle.

Thanks

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Ohhh...I forgot about split pea soup! That sounds so good.

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

That sounds YUMMY!

We got some hail, but not quite as bad as people around us. That was a nasty hailstorm!

I'll have to try the salt/dried beans thing. My mother always told me it would be crunchy, but if it won't be, that's just one less step! Thanks!

Naomi Haverland said...

I'll try this next time I have a ham bone. I made the meat loaf two nights ago and it was great- I'm usually not a meat loaf person either. And I've made the tuna chowder twice now. Thanks for the great recipes!