Tuesday, April 11, 2006

I'm a thief!

Homeland is having double dollar days again, where they double even the dollar coupons. I used this to my advantage, combining sales and coupons for the largest volume of groceries per dollar spent. I spent five dollars and got a 21 dollars worth of groceries, including fresh vegetables. When I got to the checkout, a very rude cashier informed me that I was stealing food by combining coupons and sales. I did not realize that using legal coupons clipped from the paper and taking advantage of the sales her store offered was the same thing as stuffing salad dressing in my purse and making a break for the exit. Guess I'd better go pack my bag, for when the police come to haul me away.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oy. Please tell me you let her manager know? That's just ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

Yes. Next time, call the manager immediately and inform him or her that you've just been accused of thieving.

If they don't want people combining coupons with sales, they should either stop running sales, or stop accepting coupons.

Besides, it's not like your bargain shopping skills affect her paycheck any, unless that grocery store is the only one in the country where cashiers get paid on commission.

Luckily, I've never run into anybody like this. Usually the cashier either doesn't say anything at all (95% of the time) or remarks pleasantly on how much money I managed to save. Once I got a guy who said, "Your Kroger savings is... wow, $35!" Then he conspiratorially said, "You know, that's really a lot. Really." I felt like he was going to present me with some kind of trophy from behind the counter or something. It was kind of cute.

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

It did not even cross my mind to let her manager know. Next time I will!

I have usually had experiences like Jan's- either they say nothing, or they say "WOW! That's a lot! Good job!" I was kind of speachless.

Andi @ udandi / Lunch It Punch It said...

I'm the type that would call the manager after the fact just to let him/her know. I figure if it warrants telling my mom or friend, then it is worth the time to tell the manager!

Anonymous said...

I agree with all the previous comments. That is just un called for. Accusing you of theivery is a serious comment that I wouldn't take lightly.

Like the others, I usually get commented on the great saving I happened to acrue. Like it was a game and I was winning. LOL

Anonymous said...

CALL THE MANAGER!!!

My BIL is a store manager for Kroger, and he is very pro-coupon. If one of his checkers did that he'd have her in the office. She'd either be retrained or fired.

Managers need to know this. It helps them especially since customer loyalty is so important to their bottom line. The store gets paid back plus some for each coupon you use, so they aren't out anything, and it certainly doesn't come out of a checker's salary. She has no business saying that, not even as a joke.

I'm serious. Call the manager THIS time, don't wait for the next one. The manager should be thankful, and if not, they don't need your business.

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

All I can say is "What an Idiot!"

Geez.

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Wow, this entry caused quite a stir. Being an entirly non-confrontational person, I know I won't call the manager. However, I think I will write a letter. When it happened, I was shocked and thought it was rude and kind of weird, but now that I think about it, it really is completley unacceptable. It's really none of her business if I use coupons.

A message board I frequent had a member who was told she was "pushing her luck" buy using coupons on top of sales, so I guess this does happen. I was a grocery store cashier as a teenager, and I was trained to never react to anything bought or used, meaning that I don't make anybody feel embarrassed for buying tampons, or comment on a home pregnancy test, or make comments about a person using food stamps. I don't see how combining coupons and sales is any different than any of those situations, and I should not have been made to feel embarassed about using them to my advantage. Thanks for helping me see that, everybody!

Anonymous said...

A letter will do just as well. Just make sure you do it!

You know what gets me? When they won't let you use 2 coupons on a BOGO free. If you get to use the second coupon, the store gets reimbursed the amount of the coupon. If you don't, they're out the money. It's clear as day to me, it's in their interest to promote the second coupon!

Mom2fur said...

Hey, do you need all of us to pitch in for bail money? LOL!
What a crock--how old was this person?
This is the reason I love the self-checkout line. The coupon police aren't hovering over you like red-tailed hawks.
And good job with your savings!

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Ha! Bail money! I wonder what I would put that under in my budget spreadsheet. For some strange reason, we don't currently have a catagory for that.

Kathryn said...

I'd call the manager. That was rude of the cashier. All the sale papers around here have little notaions that say "Check your Sunday insert for more savings."

I had a rude cashier ask me (years ago) if I was going on a binge, when I came thru the line with 4 bags of assorted potato chips. Actually I was having company over to play games in the evening...

I've actually called and complained when a cashier was rude to an elderly person in front of me.

Mom2fur said...

If you wanted to list bail money in your budget spreadsheet, I guess you could put it under 'miscellaneous expenses,' LOL! Or 'contingency fund.'

Anonymous said...

I would have reported that cashier to the manager right off. Why do we think we have to tolerate rude behavior like that? If I ran a business I would definitely want to know if my employees were treating MY cutomers that way.

By the way, I think it is the stores that are the "thieves", not the consumers!

Mommaroo2 said...

Yeah, if you don't call, definitely write a letter. Put the time/day/date you came in, and the name of the checker if it's on the receipt, and describe her if you remember what she looked like. Or copy the receipt and send it too, there may be a cash register number on it that will lead back to her.

If she's being that rude to you for something so silly, imagine how many other people she might be saying things to! Plus she could be costing the store customers, because some people might just stop going there over an incident like that, depending on the type of person. I would think a manager would want to know that an employee may be driving customers away.

Plus, the whole reason the store has the double coupon days is to bring customers in! What a nerve she has to put you down and call you a thief when you are doing exactly as the store intended when they advertised the double dollar days!! Sheesh! You have more patience than me, I'd have said something. At least "excuse me!?" with a shocked and clearly annoyed expression, lol.

Aarwenn said...

I can see that all your readers are very polite, so I will trample my immediate responses, all of which involved four-letter (and one five letter, starts with a "b") words!

This is way after the fact, but I sure wish you wrote that letter. I am non-confrontational, too, I don't even fight with my boyfriend, but that cashier should be sacked. Immediately. If she wants to insult her customers, she can find a different job.