Sunday, October 29, 2006
Car Update
Lola, my 94 Toyota Carola with 225,000 miles on it, is haunted. That was the diagnosis on my car. The good news is that she's working again. (Yes, we do name our cars! :-) The bad news is that they have absolutely no idea why she's working, and say that she could die again at any time. We are so thankful that she is working again right now, and we are setting aside specific money for another car if needed. We are still considering being a one car family, but will still set aside the money. We are hoping my husband's car holds out for awhile longer. ('89 Honda- 220,000 miles on it. .) So far his car has no problems, but with us it seems like one thing going out starts a chain reaction. We hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Catherine,
How is the public transit in Wichita? We've always been a 1 car family (hoping to someday be a 0 car family). In San Antonio, we both took the bus to and from school/work. It only worked because our schedules were fixed and we lived near a transit center, and husband didn't mind riding his bike a mile each morning and night... but I LOVED it. It gave me tons of time to read/relax. (Tons of time means an hour to get to and from my job which was three miles away!) No one I knew took the bus. They all thought I was crazy (nothing new :)) ...it definately wouldn't work if you were substitute teaching, though. I thought of doing so when I first graduated. You really need to know your personal bus and the schedule well. At least in my experience. Good luck with Lola!
Ruthie,
I've been using it and it's okay. I used public transit all the time in Fort Collins, CO, and really enjoyed it for the reasons you stated. The buses in Wichita don't have bike racks, which will make it slightly less easy for me, but it's do-able. I really would like to make being a one car family work!
Yeah, having a car is SOO expensive! When you add up gas, maintainence, insurance, registration etc... ugh! I know how rough it can be though, I used to live a mile and half from the grocery store but it was impossible to bike (busy streets) and scary to walk. I'm about to stop using my car, and I'm already a little nervous!
Post a Comment