Monday, November 06, 2006

My "new" breadmaker

You know, I never really wanted a breadmaker. I did not ask for one when I got married, and I was never tempted by them when I saw them at yard sales or thrift stores. I make a lot, if not most, of our bread, but a breadmaker never really appealed to me. I'm not even sure why, other than a vague remembrance of my mother talking about how huge and expensive they were. I'm also suspicious of kitchen gadgets, and after all, I can make bread myself. I do it all the time. Do I really need to spend money on a breadmaker?

When I saw a breadmaker on Freecycle, I did not think much of it. Then it was up for a few days, and nobody claimed it. I don't know why, because I've never really wanted one, but something prompted me to ask for it. I figured if I hated it, I could always Freecycle it again.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am a convert. I love my new breadmaker. I never minded making bread before, but it is so nice to be able to just dump everything into the bucket and push a few buttons. I've started working part time again as a substitute teacher, and it is so nice to come home and have hot soup (in my crock pot) and fresh bread (in the breadmaker- it even has a timer!) ready to go. My husband loves it because he says it's so much less messy, and he's right! We put everything in one place. There are not multiple bowls around, or flour everywhere, or a cutting board to clean off. (I kneed my bread on one of our big cutting boards.) I wish I had gotten one years ago.

If you want one of your own, check Freecycle, yard sales, and thrift stores. I saw them all the time, I just never bought one. If you are missing the directions (mine was) go here for some generic one size fits all directions. If you're missing parts, check the manufacturer. They can usually mail you a replacement part for a small fee. Also check E-bay and Amazon for used parts, usually for far less than the manufacturer wants to charge you!

My latest Freecycle find.

4 comments:

Susan Godfrey said...

I use to have a bread maker, but I had constant problems with mine. I could never get the bread to rise properly. Instead, my DH bought be the smallest professional model KitchenAid mixer and I let it do the kneading. Ever since, my bread has risen perfectly. I never could get a loaf to rise right in my bread maker.

Amy K. said...

My fave use of my bread machine is actually the dough setting with the delay timer. I prepped everything before I left the house this morning, and I'll have pizza dough waiting for me when I get home. Flatten, top, pop in the oven, Yay Pizza!

With His Grace said...

I LOVE MY BREADMAKER!! I have gone thru two of them and I am slowly using up the life of this one. We make homemade pizza dough for about $1.10 each, than we buy a jar or marinara for about 2.00 much cheaper than eating out! Continue your enjoyment!

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

I really like mine for pizza dough. The other day I went to make bread to go with soup, and I was almost out of regular flour, so I used half ww. That has given me some very dense bread in the past, so I had bought some wheat gluten but been afraid to use it. Since I was stuck anyway, I threw a heaping regular tsp full (like from my silverware, not a measuring spoon) and the bread baked up just like regular white bread. I was happy!