Monday, January 22, 2007

Stopping an Unfrugal Habit

I am challenging myself to stop an unfrugal habit. It's kind of a strange one, and one that won't add up to much savings, but a penny saved is a penny earned.

Mine is related to Kleenex. Plain old tissues that I try not to pay more than .75 cents a box for. Every day when I get dressed, I stick a tissue or two in my pocket. I rarely end up using these tissues, and by the end of the day, they are in shreds in my pocket, so into the trash they go. At about a penny a tissue, I'm wasting 5 bucks a year clinging to an old habit. I may tuck a handkerchief in my pocket as a "security blanket," but I really need to stop throwing away clean (but shredded) tissues every single day.

Why should I worry about five bucks? I like Amy Dacyzyn's thoughts on the topic: Thinking about the little things gets you into the habit of thinking frugally! Plus it drives me nuts when people say that x idea won't save much, so it's not worth doing. I'm fine with that for some ideas, because that really is true, but it seems like a lot of people in my life use that excuse to not do *anything* frugal, then complain about never having any money. Gah!

Do you have any little habits do you have that cause you to literally throw away money? If you gave it up, was it difficult?

2 comments:

Ruthie said...

Catherine --

Wouldn't it be great to embroider some hankies or find some beautiful vintage or lacy ones at an estate/garage sale or thrift shop that you could keep with you at all times and would remind you of something special? Remember that scene in You've Got Mail when Kathleen has a hankie with her name and a daisy embroidered on it that her mother gave her, and the little girl doesn't even know what a hankie is? Sometimes old traditions are the best! My dad always keeps a hankie with him, so maybe I will start, too. :) I have a really beautiful sunflower cloth napkin that I can use to start.

I had a habit that was incredibly embarrassing. I LOVE peanut butter, but it makes me sick! I get really bad stomach aches, etc, when I eat it. BUT about every other time I go to the grocery store, I buy peanut butter! I just can't help it, it looks so yummy and is so inexpensive. Unfortunately, after about two or four tablespoons I end up so sick I have to throw the jar away. I am now to the point where I just have to cruise by the peanut butter without looking at it, because if I stop and stare, it will end up in my basket!

By the way, your blog is looking great!

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

That's a great idea Ruthie- I'll have to be on the lookout for some really pretty ones!