Well, not exactly cheap, but cheaper. My husband does not like my long hair. Actually, he does. He thinks it is really pretty, but he hates it at night. He says my long hair gets in his face and it makes him grumpy. Braiding it does not help his plight of The Hair. So for a birthday surprise, I've decided to cut my hair. And just to make it extra special, I'm having highlights put in as well.
But wait, Frugal Homemaker! Highlights and a hair cut can cost a small fortune! Maintaining them can cost another fortune! Have you gone completly insane? Have you left the frugal way to head off to some high end salon where a guy named Raoul will charge you 300 dollars for each inch of hair cut and one streak of blonde?
Worry not, gentle readers. I did originally contact some salons to find out their prices, and knew that having both these services done was out of my range. I also called Cost Cutters, and while they did do it for a reasonable price, it was still more than I wanted to pay.
Then I remembered something- when I went to prom, I had my hair professionally done for about 15 dollars at a beauty college. I vaguely recalled seeing some beauty colleges around my area, so I decided to make a few phone calls. Today I have an appointment to have my hair cut and highlighted for less than a salon or Cost Cutters. A friend gasped in horror when she found out what I was doing, but I trust it will come out okay. Students are supervised and are trying to learn, so they will likely pay close attention to what they are doing! And if it all goes wrong, my hair grows very fast. I'll report the results this afternoon.
Edited: No, having my hair done is not my husband's only birthday gift. I found a version of Trivial Pursuit (his favorite game) that he had been wanting at a thrift store. It was not a half off color tag that day, but I still consider 2.95 an incredible bargain for something I know he'll love.
5 comments:
I've never had a bad haircut from a beauty college, but I've had plenty of bad haircuts from high-priced salons! Plus, I figure they have to learn somehow and my hair will grow back! So it makes more sense to go where the cuts are supervised and someone can step in to help than it does to pay a fancy price for someone who has an ego and even if they mess up won't admit it!
If this doesn't post I'm giving up. I hate new blogger.
I went to Vidal sassoon beauty school in London and it was great. Their cuts are free but do take a long time as they just bring in 20 people all in one go. But it was great and haircuts are expensive in London so free = awesome.
Ok, I have never comented here before, but as a working stylist, I feel compelled to give you a bit of advice...IF you go to a beauty school, ask for a senior stuident. Personally, I didn't really learn to cut hair until AFTER i graduated school, but that is only my experience. There is really not enough teachers to go around to watch what every student is doing, so if you feel the least bit uncomfortable, make them stop and ask for help. Second, if you live near a large town, and there are some REALLY nice salons around, you may call them and see if they have a apprentice night, or evening classes they need models for. Many times it is free, or pretty close to it, and you definitely will get a more supervised stylist.
Ok, going back to lurking now! :)
Thanks for the tips, domestic chicky! The salon that I went to had two price scales- one for the new students, which was less expensive, and one for the more experienced about the graduate ones. The difference was about 2 dollars, which I thought was pretty neat. :) Thanks for commenting! I always wonder who is reading.
I have always been pleased with beauty school students- they just tend to take longer... but I am not very picky either. They also have cheaper prices for getting your nails done (my favorite)!
Post a Comment