Thursday, June 28, 2007

Yogurt Making

Yogurt making is something I got into during the dirt poor graduate school days. A friend had mentioned a few years before that she made her own, but I did not try it until my beloved commercial yogurt seemed too expensive to buy on our limited budget. (We eat A LOT of yogurt.) Yogurt is one of those things that is fairly simple to make, but people are really impressed when you whip out your homemade yogurt! It's also very good in place of sour cream, and good in casseroles.

Here's the recipe I use. There are several variation on the web and in other cookbooks, so if this one does not work for you, there are others you can try. Homemade yogurt is not as thick as commercial yogurt, but it's even more delicious!

Yogurt (makes 2 qts)

Combine in a large bowl:

3 c. milk powder
3 c. warm water

Stir well. Add:

1 can of evaporated milk OR 1 2/3 c scaled whole milk. (I just use skim, and it works. Your yogurt will be thicker the higher fat content of your milk, so mine is thinner than some homemade yogurts.)
Combine separately:

1/4-1/2 cup plain yogurt (use yogurt with active cultures- it will say on the carton. After the first one you buy, you can use the homemade as starter if you eat it fairly regularly.)

1 c. milk from the bowl.

Blend until smooth and return to remaining milk. Mix well. Pour into clean glass jars and incubate at 110-120 degrees F until set. Refrigerate.

To incubate: Some people have yogurt makers, but they cost 30-50 dollars apiece, so this may or may not be a cost savings to you. I've been unsuccessfully watching for a yogurt maker at yard sales. Many people use their oven with just the oven light on. I have never had an oven with a light, so I use a cooler filled with hot water. I use a candy thermometer to check the temperature every hour or so, and add a little more hot water as I go along. To get the thickness I want, I usually leave it in 5-8 hours. It works out fine! We mix in jelly, jams, fruit, granola, or sugar to eat as yogurt, and use it to replace sour cream in other recipes.

My latest batch, incubating in the cooler. I close the lid and put a blanket over it, and have not lost a batch yet!


6 comments:

Kim said...

I make yogurt too!!! My recipe comes out very thick. It makes 8 cups.
6.5 cups milk I use 1%
1 cup dry milk
microwave until it boils 3 minutes.
The boiling kills the antibiotics in the milk that kill some of the starter and make the yogurt runny. You only need to heat to 190 degrees if you use organic milk.
Cool to 115 degrees and then add1/4 cup starter yogurt to 1 cup of milk mix and then mix well into the totla amount. Incubate 5 hour at 115 degrees!

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

That sounds great! I'll have to try your method- I would love for it to be thicker. A friend said to add gelatin, and I tried it once...it did not go well. Thanks for the comment!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I've been looking at making yogurt but didn't know I didn't have to have a yogurt maker! hooray!!

Maggie said...

Do you add anything after you make it to flacor it, like vanilla? I made yogurt a few times but couldnt come up with a flavor/texture combo I liked. Any suggestions?

Dora Renee Wilkerson said...

I love thise! I can't wait to try it.

Thanks for posting.

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Anonymous said...

i think you're asking about some flavor while making the yogurt
and not what to add after the yogurt is made, right?
if that's yous question, i add some mexican stawberry mccormic preserves , i add half spoon, depends on your taste, on every small jar before the milk preparation, because i do the 6 oz jars
there are many preserves you can use for flavor, maybe you can even find guava, i love guava flavor!
good luck