Friday, July 13, 2007

Frugal Friday: Finding Paint Cheap


Paint is one of the least expensive ways to jazz up your living space. If you are thinking of redecorating, are flexible with color choices and have a little bit of time, keep an eye out for paint at these inexpensive sources:

  • Yard Sales:I painted our basement with paint I got for 2.50 a gallon at a garage sale. It was a basic white paint.
  • Hardware Stores Opps racks: Ask where they keep returned and/or opps paint. I just painted our bathroom with 5 dollar paint that I found on the opps rack at Lowes. I was lucky on this one- it was even the exact shade of lavender I wanted! I'm currently keeping an eye out for paint to do the living room here. Yard sales are cheaper, but the opps rack tends to have more selection. I also bought higher quality paint off the opps rack than I would have if I were paying full price for it.
  • Freecycle: Although I have never used it for paint, I've seen it offered on Freecycle sometimes as well.

Check out other great ideas here!

2 comments:

rachel said...

I didn't know about the cheaper paint at hardware stores! I have a few items and a room I would love to paint but just didn't want to spend. Thanks for the tip!

Jess Connell said...

I ended up painting our dining room, our bedroom, our master bath, our other two bathrooms and having extra touchup paint, all for under $20, because I did it myself, with the Oops paint from Home Depot and Lowe's!

What I realized is that plenty of people were choosing lovely paint colors, but it would slightly not match what they were going for. Yet it was still a lovely shade of taupe, or brown, or gray or whatever I was choosing. If you check every week or so, you will find EXCELLENT choices for Cheap! And yes- one time I got Ralph Lauren paint (which I NEVER would have paid full price for) for the $5.00 price, and I think the other brands were Behr, which is a great brand name!

Now I live overseas and wish desperately I could get my hands on one of those $5 cans of deliciously colored paint! :)

Thanks for the reminder- I hope some women take you up on it- cause it's a great deal, and a great way to bring color into your home very inexpensively!

Cheers-
Jess @ Making Home