Sunday, July 22, 2007

Strange coincidence

By a strange coincidence, I was offered a temp job from my agency right after I started discussing my stay at home wife fears! It is a Monday-Friday 8-5 job as a proofreader. After carefully considering it, my husband and I decided I should take it. It lasts until January, and would really help us get ahead in our mortgage if I took it. (We have always pretended that any money I earn does not exist, which is part of how we've managed to do crazy things like buy a house with a decent down payment, even though we both worked part time and attended grad school from 2004-06.) I find the timing interesting, and I look forward to seeing how much it costs me to work! Yes, having me home saves money, and I am curious how much I spend to have my job. The office requires more professional type clothes than I usually wear, and I will have to commute to the other side of town. (I'm thinking of doing a 60 dollar a month bus pass since my car is...er...special.) I know that when I was in school and the times I've worked full time, we ate more quick type food, and of course you don't have as much time to do things like shop secondhand and chase sales. I'm going to keep track of how much it costs for me to work Check for updates!

Also, don't forget that Monday I am starting my SAHW fears series! I still consider myself a SAHW who is working temporarily. I'm working because I want to, not because I have to. And that is the freedom I want to keep, the freedom of choice we get to have because we avoid the slavery of debt!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I have been reading your blog for about a month or so. I wonder, do you feel like living "frugally" is natural for you? It has always been so for my husband and I. I will admit that in the beginning we were more strict about it, but now that we have kids, we have had to lighten up a bit - it was kind of like an "extreme" sport for us, before. :) We still consider ourselves to be "frugal" compared to most other people, though.

We also have always acted as though my money doesn't exist. Early on, my (very low paying job right out of college) was the higher paying job and we STILL saved it all. These days, I am a per diem worker (some months I don't work at all, sometimes, like this week, I work 15 hours), and we continue to save what I make. I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Good luck with your new "temporary" job.

Ruthie said...

Good luck, Catherine, I hope you enjoy working more than I do :- )

Denise Mall said...

I'm kind of excited to see how you keep a "frugal" life with this temporary position. Plus, I wish I could get back to my 20's and "do over" the right way. Good luck to you!

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

Sounds interesting! I too am interested in seeing how the expenses effect you. When Buddy enters kindergarten a year from Sept, I am considering either getting a part time job that falls during school hours, starting some sort of work from home enterprise, or going back to work full time (in that order). So a lot of the things that you will be writing about will be relevant to my decision making process.

Stefanie said...

Keep us updated about how much it costs you to work, I think this will be a really interesting thing to follow. Good luck.