Friday, August 24, 2007

Frugal Friday: Keep Snacks in Your Desk At Work


If you work outside the home, keep some snacks on hand at work! I have several things in my desk drawer- a few instant oatmeal packs, a couple of soup at hands, a few snack sized ziplock bags of almonds, and some microwave popcorn. (All purchased at rock bottom prices, of course!) Be sure to keep a spoon and fork, and a reusable bowl for the soup if your office does not provide these things.

My office provides coffee, tea, and hot chocolate, but if your office does not, keep some of these favorite things in your desk drawer. It keeps me out of the vending machine on those days when I really am hungry and could use a snack. It also keeps me from cracking and eating out for dinner- a well timed afternoon snack means I'm not too hungry to think when I leave for the day. I'm much less likely to give into temptation and pull up to the drive through on my way home. It's also usually much healthier. If I buy something from a vending machine, it usually ends up being either chips or something chocolate. And it's handy if you wake up too late for breakfast or forget your lunch. Some popcorn and canned soup can be a lunch if you need it to be.

Go here for more Frugal Friday ideas!

7 comments:

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Back in my full-time teaching days, I did this. I usually had an emergency lunch, like a can of soup. And I always had animal crackers and some sort of candy for when I really needed some sugar!

Even now when I substitute teach, I keep peanut butter crackers in my bag at all times. Just in case.

Rae said...

Another good idea is to keep a bowl of fruit at your desk. I notice that I eat more fruit when I do this.

I really enjoy your blog, by the way. You make frugality seem very natural, instead of an 'extreme' lifestyle, and you seem to share my philosophy that being frugal is not about saving money in all areas of your life, but more about saving money to get the things that really matter (like a house or a trip). I hope that you keep updating because you're a real inspiration.

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Thanks, Raven! I love blogging and have no plans to stop updating! I'm glad you enjoy it. :) I'll have to try the fruit thing. That's a great idea!

Fishie said...

I've finally succeeded in getting JJ to do this. He likes me to get him a case of diet soda for work, and he went nuts when I crought home 18 boxes of Curve bars two weeks ago. They're almost gone, so I had to hide some from him. Since he sets a fixed amount for all his expenses for two weeks, this motivates him to save everything he can so he can pay for his upcoming classes or treat himself to a splurge because he's been so frugal.

Sadie said...

This is a very good reminder. I can't even remember the number of times at school, I've forgotten to bring lunch or needed a quick snack. I'm going to have to remember to stock up on some of these items and bring them to the classroom on Monday. Thanks!

Mary Ann said...

I once had a co-worker who kept a box of ramen noodles in her car. It was a daycare and her daughter was at the center too, so if she didn't have time to bring a lunch for both of them, she could run out and grab a pack or two of noodles. Ramen isn't that healthy, but the concept of keeping something on hand is a good one! Great post!

Kim said...

I'm a SAHM. I use this same strategy for the car. I keep a box of granola bars in the front seat. There have been many times that this has saved us a trip through the drive thru!