Sunday, August 12, 2007

Reader Question: Salty Yogurt

A reader sent a question in to me about yogurt making, and I'm at a loss! She made her yogurt in a yogurt maker, and used 2% organic milk. She also used Fage Greek strained yogurt as her starter and about a half packet of Yogourmet yogurt starter. Here's her dilemma:

MY PROBLEM IS that the yogurt has a salty aftertaste. I love how creamy the yogurt turned out and it is mild enough that I would actually enjoy it plain and the salty taste to it would be fine in a savory dish like in place of sour cream on burritos. But I like a sweetened yogurt for dessert and I don't care for the combo of sweet and salty.
And I'm just not sure if it is supposed to be salty.
Do you know? And if you don't, can you direct to some great yogurt-making resource?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

I have no idea what could be wrong. I've never had Greek yogurt- is it that? I also have never used a yogurt maker, nor added any yogurt starter other than plain yogurt.

Can you help Pam? Leave a comment! Thank you!

2 comments:

AnnMarie said...

For starters, you need either yogurt starter OR yogurt (and no need to strain) to use. Not both. They do the exact same thing! I'm guessing the Fage Greek thing has salt in it?

Otherwise, I have never had my yogurt taste salty. My ingredients are organic skim milk (not that it matters--any milk will do), powdered milk (to thicken), and yogurt starter/old yogurt.

I can imagine it being too tart (happens to me)--perhaps due to the extra starters she used. Also, tartness can come from the length of time. Maybe it's tart instead of salty? Try keeping it in a shorter time period, taste, if you like it, stop it, if not, leave it another hour. Etc. we found 9 hours was perfect for us. (longer time also means thicker.)

Kim said...

I also make yogurt. I use Yogormet as my starter and have never had any problems. I would sgree with the comment above that it probably has a tart after taste. I have cut my processing time to five hours and that is about perfect for me. I get thick creamy yogurt by adding powdered milk to my 2%. The extra milk solids make it nice and creamy. The short processing time makes it very mild.