Here's some of the common things I hear when people say that they can't pack a lunch:
I don't have time in the mornings!
Neither do it. I would never pack a lunch if I had to do it in the morning. I pack my lunch in the evenings, when we're cleaning up from dinner. Since my husband and I almost always take dinner leftovers, we just pack up individual servings as we're cleaning up the kitchen. I keep around quick to grab stuff (bought on super sale, of course!) We often take fruit snacks, dried fruit, crackers, yogurt, cheese sticks, real fruit, and cut up veggies as sides. Since we both like water and our offices provide cups, we just drink water at work for lunch. If you drink soda or juice, it is much less expensive to buy it at the store than it is to get out of the vending machine.
I don't have a microwave or fridge!
That's unfortunate, but you can still take wonderful meals! Sandwiches are quick and easy. If you hate soggy sandwiches, then pack each individual ingredient separately and assemble at lunch time. Salad are a healthy lunch that do not require microwaving. There are even some cold soups that would be a refreshing lunchtime treat. My favorite quiche tastes wonderful at room temperature.
I see those cold packs that you can stick in the freezer at yard sales quite often, but you don't even need those. A reusable water bottle filled most of the way up and frozen makes a good ice pack, and as a bonus you have cold water to drink with your lunch. I've heard of people doing this with juice boxes as well.
My job requires me to drive and I eat in the car between clients.
I've been there. I once had a job as a maid with one of those services. They did not really have a concept of such wonders of the words "lunch break." They considered the time we spent driving between houses as our break, so I had to pack something that would survive in a hot car that I could eat while driving.We were not allowed to do crazy things like get a drink of water while at the client's house, so I left my house every day with the following: Several large bottles of water, most of them still frozen from the freezer, an igloo cooler type lunch box, and assorted food cut into bite sized pieces. The frozen water would act as my fridge and as my hydration since cleaning was VERY hard work. I would make things like PBJ and cut the sandwich into four triangles, cut apples into bite sized pieces, cut up cubes of cheese- all easy to eat while driving, and to eat in bits and pieces during the day. Most of my coworkers did not bring lunch. We'd pop in at a drive through, or stop briefly at a gas station. My lunch was much cheaper than that , for sure.
When I was in grad school, I had a microwave but often had a schedule that did not allow for a leisurely lunch. One semester I had to eat while walking between classes- not fun! Again, the solution was bite sized pieces of stuff. Those sippy cup soups were pretty nice too.
I have to eat lunch out everyday so I can network and get ahead in my carer!
Okay. But does it have to be everyday? Our roommate was doing this and going slowly broke, so now he does it on Wednesdays. He and several of his work friends call it the Wednesday Lunch Club and take turns trying to find an interesting hole in the wall restaurant to eat at. I thought that was an interesting solution. If you truly have one of those high power super jobs, could you eat snacks at your desk and have a very light lunch out, like soup or a salad?
I just don't like to pack a lunch.
There are days when I don't like to pack a lunch either. When this happens, I pull out a trusty frozen meal, like Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice frozen meals. (My husband calls these "Lady Lunchables.") I used to not do this because the meals were expensive and I try to avoid processed food. However, it is much easier, cheaper, and healthier to do this than to hit up the Value Menu because I could not deal with packing a lunch. Even full price, these are often cheaper than fast food. If you watch for coupons and sales, you can get these for about a dollar each.
Taking a lunch does not have to be difficult or boring. It does take a bit of time and creativity, but the savings will almost certainly be worth it!
When I was in grad school, I had a microwave but often had a schedule that did not allow for a leisurely lunch. One semester I had to eat while walking between classes- not fun! Again, the solution was bite sized pieces of stuff. Those sippy cup soups were pretty nice too.
I have to eat lunch out everyday so I can network and get ahead in my carer!
Okay. But does it have to be everyday? Our roommate was doing this and going slowly broke, so now he does it on Wednesdays. He and several of his work friends call it the Wednesday Lunch Club and take turns trying to find an interesting hole in the wall restaurant to eat at. I thought that was an interesting solution. If you truly have one of those high power super jobs, could you eat snacks at your desk and have a very light lunch out, like soup or a salad?
I just don't like to pack a lunch.
There are days when I don't like to pack a lunch either. When this happens, I pull out a trusty frozen meal, like Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice frozen meals. (My husband calls these "Lady Lunchables.") I used to not do this because the meals were expensive and I try to avoid processed food. However, it is much easier, cheaper, and healthier to do this than to hit up the Value Menu because I could not deal with packing a lunch. Even full price, these are often cheaper than fast food. If you watch for coupons and sales, you can get these for about a dollar each.
Taking a lunch does not have to be difficult or boring. It does take a bit of time and creativity, but the savings will almost certainly be worth it!
11 comments:
I disagree that it's always cheaper to bring your lunch than buy. Have you ever done the numbers on a lunch that you make--consider the ingredients in your leftover meal plus the total of whatever sides you bring.
I'm lucky in that I eat lunch at home now, but I used to buy my lunch at a vegetarian buffet place almost every day. For 3-4$, I had a hot meal, salad, and fresh fruit for dessert. I could not buy the ingredients for this meal for 3-4USD), much less eat that healthily.
Thank you for your comment, Raven! 3-4 dollars for that much organic food is AMAZING! Great find.
I'll run the numbers sometime to share on the blog. I did run the numbers of how much I spent on dinners once, and it was 2-6 dollars for the entire meal, feeding three people, with leftovers, so I'm fairly confident that my leftover lunches are less expensive than the 5-7 I would have to spend in my area for lunch. It may be a fun series...thanks for the idea! :)
I think an easy solution is just to cook too much dinner and then take a box of leftovers with you to work. You can box it up when yous serve dinner so there really is NO work involved.
Now that I am moving and won't be 2 min. from home by foot. I will have to bring lunch. I have my lunch bag packed with some containers and a thermos for hot food. We have a microwave at home but it is SO nasty I would not put my food in there.
yes packing is cheaper.
My DH used to work close to home (a block away) and he always came home for lunch, which I found to be even cheaper than brown bagging and requires less thought on what is convenient to take, just look and see what is in the kitchen to eat, no special planning or shopping was required. Plus when I was already cooking for the kids, it was easy to just make a little extra for him.
This is such a timely topic, because I have been flat-out forgetting to make a lunch or bring it for several weeks and it is freakin' EXPENSIVE!! I don't even want to add up how much I've spent on take-out in the past month and a half. It will not be pretty.
I used to be really good about taking my lunch, and I know I can start again. I'll try to keep some progress stats up on my blog--thanks for the push!
My lunch, which I carried to work today, cost me $1.59 total.
Turkey Patties (2) .50
Bread (I used the ends) .22
Pickles .02
Cheese .16
Salad .25
Dressing .12
Strawberries .32
I had a turkey burger made from a package of premade patties on Manager's Special for .99 for four. They cooked down to less than 2 ounce each on the grill this weekend, I decided to make my mockburger a double meater. I didn't have any buns, so I used the ends of my bread. Pickles were next to nothing. Cheese I bought on sale and with a coupon. I measured out one ounce and sliced it thin. My bagged salad was on manager's special for .99 too. The dressing was bought on sale w/coupon. Strawberries were on sale this week and I at about 1/4 lb with my lunch.
I used to be a teacher, so I had no real choice but to bring my lunch. (Well, I could have eaten a school lunch, but I gave those up in the 3rd grade.) Now I only occasionally sub, which still means packing a lunch.
Doing everything the night before was the ONLY way I could get out the door with a lunch. My DH would see me do that and comment that he should do that, too, as he always seems to be in a rush in the mornings and often doesn't bother with grabbing a lunch.
I've found that freezing leftovers in individual-sized portions is a great way to provide an easy lunch. Just grab one from the freezer and microwave it at lunch.
Something else I did back in my teaching days was to keep a few things on hand at school, such as crackers and a couple of cans of soup. That way if I ever forgot to bring a lunch or something, I still had food. I just kept it at my desk.
As for the comment about a $3-4 lunch being cheaper than making the food, I think the commenter is forgetting that when you cook, you rarely make ONE portion at a time. Cooked foods usually make up multiple servings, so it typically is cheaper to bring the leftovers than to buy it pre-made somewhere. The reason it can be sold so cheaply is that the restaurant is buying and cooking in bulk, then portioning it out.
I'm with EwokGirl - I make my own frozen meals on the weekends. Last weekend I whipped up some curried carrot soup - definitely a cheap meal, a 5 pound bag of carrots is currently $1.99 by my house. I also put some pasta meals together - whole wheat pasta with alfredo sauce, broccoli, and crumbled bacon (I cheat and use the Hormel bacon crumbles. Not cheap, but convenient.) I cooked up sauerkraut and sausage for lunch Sunday, and the leftovers made 3 more frozen lunches. This weekend I'm making Shiitake barley soup, which will fill the rest of my lunch containers. And if I'm not totally souped-out by then, I'm making the pink bean and sauerkraut soup from the Frugal Gourmet's Immigrant Ancestors cookbook.
Catherine ~
How are you doing? Is your job fun? Do you miss being at home? I miss your more frequent posts :)
Russell loves leftovers-for-lunch.
Something I used to do (and might start again soon :)) is eating soup daily for lunch. Bean-veggie soups are really healthy, low in calories, and have protein and fiber yumminess to get ya through the day. When I was counting my calories, I would bring a thermos of soup (10 oz) and a piece of fruit for lunch. I would just make sure to make soup for dinner once or twice a week and make a big pot with numerous servings. That way when I was walking out the door, I only had to make sure I had: thermos, spoon, fruit, novel, keys. Otherwise I would have never caught the 6 AM bus!
Ruthie
My husband and I work for the same company and are expecting our first child. We have tried to be better with bringing our lunches to work, to save money, but it gets so tiring. I get tired of frozen meals and sandwiches. I would love to read more ideas for a healthy lunch that I want to eat. We have a microwave, fridge and even a stove at our office.
Post a Comment