I love having a house that smells good, and there's never a better time to do that than the holidays.
One way to have that wonderful holiday smell is to have a real tree, but it seems like fewer people do this these days. I 'm one of the fake tree types. While I would love to have a real tree to get that wonderful evergreen scent, having a fake tree is much more economical and less messy for us. That does not mean that we can't fake the real thing! Pine scented candles can be a passable substitute. I burn them all season long. I especially love the Yankee scent tarts, but those can be expensive. I stock up at the end of the season with those 10% off Bed Bath and Beyond coupons. I also love pumpkin scented candles, cranberry, holly...anything related to the winter holidays.
'Tis the season for homemade goodies! What's a better scent than fresh baked bread, cookies, pies, cakes, and candy? They can make excellent and attractive gifts as well- Meredith shows the ins and outs of attractive and frugal packaging.
Do you have a wood burning stove? What's nicer than sitting in front of a warm fire, enjoying hot chocolate and fresh baked cookies while smelling your evergreen candles burning? What a joy to relax with your family in your wonderfully scented home!
4 comments:
I love the smell of pine this time of year also. I also love apple cinnamon (baked apple pie).
Ah, and if you have a wood-burning stove, yet another way for lovely holiday smells! We put an old tea kettle on the stove during the winter and add--as the season suggests--a few drops of appropriate essential oils. Favorites this time of year are pine, spruce or fir needle, though I have my personal combination of cinnamon, clove and orange that I really love.
The only problem with those lovely scented candles is what you're smelling. . .if you can imagine that it's actually chemicals, or toxins, to be more exact, it is a bit frightening. There are already so many pollutants we can't avoid, like car pollution, pesticides in foods, etc., to just add to that load by willingly breathing in more is not very healthful.
Perhaps you already know this already though and don't care, in which case I apologize for sounding pedantic. This never occurred to me before hearing of it, so thought I'd pass on the info just in case.
All the best, I do enjoy your blog btw.
I love the Yankee Candles too. But, lately I've been saving our citrus peels to heat on the stove with some cinnamon and cloves. Cheaper and smells good too. Though I should be tickled if someone bought me an evergreen Yankee candle for Christmas.
Post a Comment