Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Library Series

My husband and I have said before that if it weren't for the library, we'd either be very broke or very bored.

We're both readers. We both read pretty much all the time. Waiting for something? Reading. Traveling? Reading. After dinner? Reading. We are at the library several times a week. I read very quickly, and it is not unusual for me to read several books in a day. I have tons of books on hold at all times. My husband does not read as quickly, but he has a fondness for textbooks, which tend to be very expensive. We also take advantage of the movies available at our local library.

We have always supported any tax increases to our libraries, simply because we use them so much. We've always said that the taxes we pay are not even a drop in the bucket to what we consume there. This year, we've decided to find out.

This blog is starting a new series on how much the library saves us. I will be listing the cost of every book we read and every movie we watch that we got at the library. The cost based on the Amazon.com price, not including shipping. I am truly curious about how much we would spend on books if I bought each book I read brand new.

I suppose I must concede that I would not actually *buy* as many books as I get from the library, because I tend to pick up anything that interests me since I'm not paying for it, but I imagine it would be close. Reading is something that I cannot imagine not doing. My biggest fear is the library shutting down due to lack of funding. (Hey, it's happened!)

Stay tuned for the ongoing library series!

1 comment:

mamashine said...

I like this idea! I'll be curious to see what you come up with. I am not very disciplined with taking my books back on time and have paid late fees equal to the value of buying the book- so I don't go very much. I use paperback swap a lot, which is not quite free but better than buying them at cost.
Or garage sales, or half price books is always good.