
Tomorrow we're having chicken stir fry. I cut up zucchini, onions, orange peppers, and garlic. I also pulled out a chicken breast to thaw in the fridge. The most annoying part of it (for me, anyway- I hate chopping stuff!) is done and waiting in the fridge.
I go as far to measure out the rice so dinner is as lazy-proof as possible. I can't possibly say I'm too tired to dump some wild rice water into a rice cooker and add water can I? The rice is already measured! The rice cooker is right there! Even the drive thru at Burger King requires more steps- I have no excuse!

Stir fry takes very little time and tastes great. Doing the prep work the night before makes it even easier.
What are your favorite tips to fast food proof your dinner hour?
2 comments:
I've discovered that having yummy food at home makes fast food unappealing. This means that I splurge on big ticket items like frozen shrimp and fresh fish, both of which cook up in just minutes. I've noticed that I eat out a lot less now that shrimp and fish are 'every day fare.'
I also tend to have the following in the freezer:
-cooked rice (frozen in one-portion sized containers);
-cooked and seasoned lentils;
-homemade tomato sauce;
-bags of various vegetables;
-bags of various fruit;
-whole 'one dish meals' like chili, lentils with dumplings, pasta & sauce, vegetarian shepherd's pie, vegetable soup, etc.
This means that I have no excuse not to make dinner at home or to buy my lunch. I can pull things out of the freezer in the morning and have a full lunch available and all the hard work done for dinner.
I now spend a lot more money on groceries than I used to, but considerably less on fast food and my overall spending is down.
I'm impressed that you chop your own veggies. Being single, I've discovered that I can get a lot more variety and bang for my buck by going with frozen veggies. They're so convenient I have no excuse not to include them in whatever I'm cooking! The only things I chop are onions and garlic, with the odd summer veggies like tomatoes and coloured peppers.
I love your idea. and thanks for including photos... I learn visually so that helped.
there's a great pasta/veggie/beef dish I make..but sometimes I don't want to do all the chopping of the veggies, etc.
now I'll do the prep work ahead of time and will really have no more excuses!
(I'll do more prep work for other things as well. feels peaceful to be prepared.)
Post a Comment