Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hawaii

Hawaii is so beautiful. We stayed on Oahu in Honolulu, and I wish I could pack up and move there for a few years right now! The air smelled like flowers, the people were friendly, and I love both the ocean and the mountains, so having both there was wonderful.


What we learned:

  • Don't rent a car in Honolulu- the bus system is great and parking is expensive. We should have just rented a car for the day when we went to the North Shore- that would have saved us a bundle! We hardly used it, and walked most places, or took the bus sometimes.

  • Plate lunches are cheap and filling! We often shared one and it was enough for both of us.

  • There are free things to do! The beach is free, we randomly found some cool free museums, and people watching can't be beat!

  • The restaurant "Cheeseburger" is just that...nine dollar cheeseburgers, no fries, no salads, no cole slaw, nothing else unless you wanted to order and pay for it separate. Good burger, but we won't be heading back there anytime soon.

  • ABC Stores actually have somewhat decent prices. We bought a bottle of water there and refilled that bottle all week- great 1.50 investment.

  • It was expensive, but honestly, it was not as horrible as I expected. Gas was $3.45/gal when we left Honolulu, but it was $3.18 when we landed in Wichita.

  • The Bishop Museum is totally worth the 15 dollar admission fee.

  • The Botanical Gardens is worth the 5 dollar fee. What a peaceful way to spend an afternoon! But don't walk there from Waikiki. That walk was too long.

  • When you write down prices, be sure to keep it somewhere safe and not lose it! The only price I remember is for cheese. Slices on sale 2 for $7, which is not much more than what I'm seeing in Wichita for the name brand sliced cheese.

  • Housing, on the other hand...I could get a lovely studio for what I paid for my house and giant yard.

  • Everybody drives Scions out there! I have the coolest car on Oahu! Clearly I'm meant to live there.

Are any of my readers from Hawaii? What is the most challenging part of living on the island?

1 comment:

Christine said...

My brother lives in Kailua and the expensive part of living there is not always consumer purchases (although red meat is expensive)...it is VERY expensive to live there with the property taxes. His taxes monthly are twice my mortgage (I live in the metro Baltimroe area)...nonetheless, he loves it there! We hope to visit one day when we can afford the airfare :)