On Sunday we had company over and my husband requested a strawberry pie for dessert. No problem, right? I had not counted on having to buy two pounds of expensive strawberries (3.99 each) and the price increase in flour. (Anybody else noticing the rise?) But my husband wanted strawberry pie, and we're not destitute, so I happily made it. It probably cost about 10 dollars.
Today as I was going to work, I noticed that it is pie month at a local Village-Inn type restaurant. All their delicious pies could be had for $6.99 each. Do'h! This is one of those cases where just buying the dang thing ready made would have saved me both time and money! Of course, it would have been missing the secret ingredient- love- but I don't know if out guests would have noticed.
Has this ever happened to you?
7 comments:
I just had a similar thing happen. I've been wanting to get some better curtains in our bedroom for a while. I wasn't finding what I wanted, so I was considering buying the fabric and making them (hopefully, since my sewing skills are pitiful). I found lovely velvet curtains, big enough for my old-house windows, for less than I could have bought the fabric for. I got them at Home Depot, which I hadn't considered for linens before.
I've recently found some clothes on sale at the department store that were as good as thrift store prices. Thrift stores take a lot more time to search through. So it's another similar thing to think about. That time could be used for another frugal endeavor. Definitely something to think about.
Love your blog!
Jennifer
This has happened to me, and it's usually just like your realization, right AFTER I've spent the extra money on something, that I run across a better, easier and much cheaper way to do it. I think it's my husband's biggest entertainment, because I have such a hard time letting it go then!
I am nodding with agreement for comments above. I am hoping that the price of strawberries will go down as the season gets closer. Any chances of picking them on your own, or growing some? Interesting comparison. Thanks.
I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Lisa, I do hope they come down in price. I grew strawberries last year- and got a single teeny tiny berry for my efforts. Hopefully they do better this year! :)
Hi Catherine, have you thought about frozen berries for the pie, on sale? Hopefully that'd be just the right mix of love and frugality! :)
On another topic, where you did you get the code for the progress bar you used to have up for your vacation fund? I'm hoping to save $2400 for a trip to Japan and would like a similar blog toy. Thank you! LOVE the blog.
Aarwenn-
My husband wrote the code for it, but I can see if he will share his secrets. :)
Also- FROZEN BERRIES! I have no idea why that did not cross my mind. I use a lot of frozen raspberries. Mmmm...berries... I'll have to check the strawberry prices.
I hate it when that happens! I bet your strawberry pie was delicious though...just thinking about it is making my mouth water!
Post a Comment