Tuesday, April 22, 2008

FHP Needs Your Advice: Dead Dryer

The dryer is dead. It has been dead for a couple of weeks, and is beyond my husband and the roommate's mad mechanical engineering skillz. We're in the process of replacing it. We were not in a huge hurry as we usually line dry our clothes, but we do use it enough that we are starting to miss it.

Originally, we had planned on scoring a used one via the wonders of Craigslist and the newspaper, but this has been more difficult than anticipated. Our four main problems with locating a used one are as follows:

  • They are listed as washer and dryer sets, and they are not willing to separate them. Our washer is fine, and we don't care about a matching set.
  • The dryer listed is really old. I don't need a super new one, but I also don't want one from 1982 either. I think 5 years old is my max.
  • The dryer is newish, but has not been used in a year or more and has been in the garage/storage. My mother in law lost an oven this way- she put it in storage, and by the time she needed it, mice had chewed through the wires. I don't want something that has not been in use recently because of her experience.
  • The dryer is super ghetto. I responded to an ad that said it was in great condition except a few minor issues. One of the "minor issues" is that the door would not stay closed, but they were able to tie it shut and/or use magnets with moderate success. If we were in dire straits and it were free, I might consider it, but we are not in dire straits and they wanted $100, so no.

Because of these issues, we're actually *gasp* considering a new one. We have no idea what we want though, beyond "energy efficient" and "dries the clothes." What would you recommend? What is a must have and what are needless bells and whistles? What is the maximum you'd pay for a new dryer? (Some are crazy expensive, but are they worth it?) Are there any ways to get a used dryer that I may not have thought of? Let me know in the comments or e-mail me at Frugal.Homemaker.Plus (at) gmail.com

8 comments:

mamashine said...

The Sears near us has an outlet center where they sell floor models or units with slight cosmetic damage from shipping. There are usually some pretty good deals. Even if you don't have one- you might be able to buy a floor model from someplace and save a bit.

As far as features, I like the sensor that makes it stop when the clothes are dry instead of just running for X number of minutes.

Anonymous said...

We actually got our dryer at a garage sale! Also, my local consignment store often has them. If you have a store in your area, give them a call, just in case.

KaKi said...

I agree with the sensor for stopping when clothes are actually dry, this is a great energy saver. I also agree with the floor models. Look at Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears. We finally went with a new one at Sears with the 12 months same as cash deal. Good luck!!

Jenny's Vegcafe said...

My Mom bought me a washer/dryer for my college apartment at the end of the school year. I had that set for five years before it just wasn't worth moving. Lots of people are moving/graduating and need to get rid of their stuff. If you live in a college town maybe this would work for you.
When we went to buy new washer and dryers we read up on our consumer reports and bought two (non-matching) that were in our price range with a minimum of the bells and whistles. Why do they have to match anyway?

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

I think you should go to the library and read up in Consumer Reports for dryer recommendations. Or you can access the info on their website, but you have to pay something like $4.95. Personally, I think it's money well spent.

I also think you're wise to just buy something new. Dryers are appliances that you want to have with you for a long time, so it doesn't strike me as frivolous to make this purchase. Then again, I believe in buying cars new rather than used, which goes against the conventional wisdom of frugality, but I prefer to know that the car is taken care of correctly from the start.

AMCSviatko said...

How close is your nearest Laundromat? The reason I'm asking is you might find it cheaper to just take your drying there when you need to do it (or do a deal with a friedn who has a dryer where you get to use their dryer and in exchange take dinner or a bottle of wine over and spend time with them.)

I thought I needed a dryer when I moved here 10 years ago. I decided to wait and use the laundromat (three blocks away) when I needed to and only buy a drier when I got sick of going to the laundromat all the time. Guess what? In 10 years I haven't set foot inside the laundromat once and am quite happy setting up a drying rack in front of the heater on the days in mid winter when I know stuff just won't dry outside.)

Just a thought...

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Sherpa,

I'm fairly close to one. That's what we did when it died in the middle of a load. I could do it, but I hate doing it. We depended on the laundromat for the first three years of our marriage and I was so happy to be done with that. But we could do it again. :)

AnnMarie said...

Also look around for a used appliance store. I bought my washer/dryer at one in Lansing MI. Worked great for the 3 years I was there. I forget what we did at the end of the rental. Sold it? Left it behind? Hmmm... Anyway, lots cheaper than buying new!