Friday, April 04, 2008

Frugality in the Mainstream

With all this mainstream media coverage, will frugality be considered less weird?

I love that the story highlights include "Careful spending in one area can free cash for things that matter to you more." My first thought to that is duh, but at the same time, this idea may be revolutionary to some people. I'm serious. In many cases frugality seems so *simple* and *basic* to me, but that is not true for everybody. I read the book mentioned in the article when it first came out and I remember thinking that the information was nothing that I did not know already. But I have to remind myself that I was raised frugal, I was raised to think about money in a certain way. Not everybody gets those lessons. To somebody,America's Cheapest Family Gets You Right on the Money changed their life the way the Complete Tightwad Gazette changed mine.

4 comments:

Ann'Re said...

I was frugal before I found Complete Tightwad Gazette...but my whole thought proccess changed after I read that book. I'm not sure I'm any more frugal...but I'm definately more thoughtful in my spending habits. :) Ann'Re

Tracy said...

I just finished reading America's Cheapest Family Gets You Right on the Money and really enjoyed it. We have always had trouble not going over on our monthly budget. I have completely redone ours based on the advice in that book and have really high hopes that we will be able to stick to this one better.
I haven't read the other book you mentioned Complete Tightwad Gazette, but I am going to look for it at my local library.
I am one of those people who was not raised to be frugal and have been slowly learning the way bit by bit. I'm still not totally there yet, but we have made a lot of progress since we (my husband and I )got married over 8 years ago.

Unknown said...

Another great resource is Dave Ramsey...you can find links to a lot of his stuff at notesfrommynest.blogspot.com along with other great money-saving tips and special offers. There's a great offer running now from Bubble & Bee...

Naomi Haverland said...

Most Americans think that anything that is different from themselves is weird. Many times thinking "out of the box" is really just thinking in an unamerican way. Go to a third world country and frugality will have a whole new definition. "Weird" is defined by those around us.