Saturday, July 05, 2008

Must Haves

I overheard somebody say that they did not have cable until their kids became teenagers, and then they "had to have cable." Apparently, teenagers will actually die without cable. Who knew?

I hear the "have to" line a lot. Somebody wants to cut their expenses, they want to save for college or a home or their retirement, or prepare for a downturn in the economy, but there are so many things they have to have. I know there are a lot of things that make life more entertaining, or easier, but when you get down to it, there are very few things that people have to have.

If you're in dire straits or are paying off massive debts, or saving for something bigger, I challenge you to reexamine your "have to haves." Life may be easier or more fun with those items, but they're hardly required to live. A lot of times, giving up the "have to haves" for now can lead to a much more financially secure future.

You have to rent a house with a fenced yard instead of an apartment, because your kid "has to have" a yard. You "have to have" cable because that is your only possible entertainment. You "have to have" books new from the bookstore. You "have to have" a lot of meat because people in your family refuse to eat vegetables. You "have to" eat lunch out.

I once worked with a person who frequently worried about money, but bought three Nintendo Wii's because her kids "had to have" their own. They would not share, so instead of getting rid of them like my momma would have done, she just got each of her children their own Wii.

People "have to have" certain foods, and will not consider substituting other foods for that "have to have" item. You need calcium, for sure, but there are many ways of getting it other than than drinking five gallons of milk a week. Or you can drink five gallons of powdered milk.

People "have to" order takeout because both parents work and they are wiped out at the end of the day. I understand this one for sure, but there are many quick meal cookbooks and make ahead and freeze it books out there. I personally think our food bill would triple if it were not for my handy secret weapon.

One of my "have to haves" is internet. We had dial up while we were grad students, and did our things that required high speed at the University library. But we never really talked about cutting it. I do so much on the internet that it is not even funny. I would get rid of a lot of other things before I gave up my internet. But do I really have to have it? Of course not.

Even if you're not struggling, it's never a bad idea to look at what you have and see if there are alternatives. Can you get movies free from the library instead of from Netflix? Can you watch less TV instead of having cable? If you can't give up your favorite cable shows, would it be cheaper to just buy the used DVD seasons when they come out? Can you eat more kale and less cheese? Would cloth diapers be a savings to you? Can you use the internet at the library?

Many, if not most, of people's "have to" have an alternative solution, we just get caught up in the "I can't, because I have to have this exact thing." I challenge you to think critically about your choices. There is nothing inherently wrong with cable TV or a house with a yard or six gallons of organic milk in glass bottles a week. You may choose to keep those items in your life, but at least it is a conscious choice and not a non examined, "Well, I have to. There is no other solution." Don't let yourself get trapped in the "have to!" mentality. We have more choices than we realize.

What have to haves do you really not have to have? What would be the hardest thing to give up? Have you given up a "have to" and had it not be as difficult as you anticipated? Share in the comments!

6 comments:

tuhmeesuh said...

i totally agree. my household bills run me appx. 500.00 per month (ALL of them from the heat to the phone, tv, life ins., misc. bills, etc.) because we cut down ALOT.

the only splurges i do are my cable and high speed internet...which run me 80.00 a month together. there was no use in me going to basic cable because here it's 54.00 and the digital is 59.00. and digital gives you soo much more.

but if it ever came down to the wire like THAT--i would cut my cable in a heartbeat (i need my internet because my phone is connected to it--haha).

great blog!

Kama said...

Those are some good questions! Thanks for the thoughts. There are so many things I feel like I "have to have" as well, but when I start to think about it, I realize they aren't that important. My husband and I are planning our nursery and I often find things that I really want, but am able to talk myself out of because they aren't necessary--that super cute pillow that will match PERFECTLY! :)

Rita said...

For me right now it is cable. I don't want to give it up. I'm not home much to watch it but when I am at home I enjoy it a lot. With this new box that we need to keepTV working in Feb. 2009 "it could be" that our cable bill will go up. If that is true I would be smart to get a digital box, use my antenna and drop cable. In the long run I am thinking this box idea is just a way for cable companies to increase the price over time. We will see...

Amy K. said...

We dropped from Standard Basic to what I call "college student Basic" cable a year ago, and couldn't be happier. I think it's $8/month, and we get $10 off our high speed internet, so they're basically paying us to keep cable versions of the broadcast channels. We only watch a few hours of TV a month, and there's always something interesting on when I just need to veg.

As for other "have to"s... I haven't been as successful. As two people with computer-related jobs, we need the high speed internet to work from home on snowed-in days (and occasional evenings, and weekends... gotta work on that work life balance). That also means we need two computers, though 98% of the time we could get by with one, if we're snowed in we both need to be able to telecommute so we can hoard those vacation days.

We do have a NetFlix account, which we use mainly for those cable shows we no longer get. We were SciFi addicts, and now we're one season behind, watching seasons of Battlestar Gallactica and Stargate as they're released to DVD.

Aarwenn said...

Excellent post, as usual. I had been contemplating getting rid of my cable for months, and this post convinced me to do it--but I cringe at not doing it sooner. Why wasn't I, you might ask? Because I thought my BOYFRIEND "had to have" it. Does he live with me? No. Why was I paying almost $100 a month for a cable TV and phone service that I didn't need for a boyfriend who didn't live with me? Who knows. I have canceled it and feel GREAT.

Ruthie said...

I thought I had to have Diet pop, but I don't! I gave it up even though I swore that I wouldn't be the same without it. Now I am the same except for the fact that I don't like the taste of diet pop. :)

My family feels I have to have a cell phone, and I admit it does get a lot of use when the alternative could be really annoying (like being unable to call someone and ask them to pick up something or that you've dropped by to give them their lunch but you can't park at the school). But I swear I could live without it in a heart beat.

Hmm I pretend like I have to have the internet, I guess. I would probably get so much more done without it.

Maybe I should try to shun the internet for a week and see if I really have to have it?