Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Do It Now! (Rerun)

This originally ran on August 12, 2006.

Being organized and not saying "I'll do it later!" can save you money! The past two weeks have been a little hard. It's been nearly unbearably hot, I'm just kind of meh anyway, and I've also had a lot of things to do outside the home. I've lost money in these past two weeks because I looked at a few things that would not have taken all that long to do and thought "I'll do it tomorrow."

From my life:

Air Mattress: I deflated it after we had guests, washed the sheets, and left the deflated mattress in a heap on our guest room floor. Enter Annie the house rabbit. While I've been ignoring it, she's been happily chewing it up. I may be able to patch it, but the damage is pretty extensive, so it may be a total loss. (Update- it was a total loss. She had chewed GIANT holes into it that I did not see until I started trying to fix it. 08/08)

Annie likes to chew.

Chicken: I had ten pounds of chicken in a big bag. I defrosted it, used some in various recipes, and figured I'd vacuum seal the rest into meal sized portions with my awesome Foodsaver. So about two weeks ago, I stuck it in the fridge and promptly forgot about it. This morning, I opened the fridge and was hit with a horrific smell. Yep, the chicken had gone bad. I got the chicken nearly free on sale, but still, that's a lot of food wasted because I did not take 10 minutes to Foodsave it, or 10 seconds to put it back in the freezer.

Let me be a lesson to you! What are you putting off? Take ten minutes and go do it now!

4 comments:

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Very good post! And a very cute bunny!

What have I been putting off? Right now, it's working on some gifts. I've now hit crunch time, and I only have myself to blame.

Jen said...

I hate it when I do this. You'd think we'd learn by now, huh? Thanks for that friendly reminder!

Unknown said...

I've done that with the chicken though I usually chop it up and freeze it to throw into recipies quick. But I hate having to remove the bones and skin before i do it so I put it in the fridge to do later and oppps :P

Mrs Marcos said...

That bunny looks completely innocent to me, surely you are mistaken.

SO.CUTE!