No, I'm not moving anytime soon that I'm aware of. I just noticed Crystal at Biblical Womanhood giving some excellent moving advice here. My father was in the military, so we moved around a lot when I was a kid, and my husband and I have lived in 4 apartments and one house in our 5 and 1/2 years of marriage. I've learned a lot about moving in these moves.
I think Crystal's advice is excellent prior to moving, especially planning ahead and asking for help! It is equally important to plan what you're going to do when you get to your new home. Crystal touches on this by reminding us to pack a suitcase with necessary items to put in the car before the move. Nothing is more horrible than being exhausted and not being able to find your PJ's! I just had a few more tips that became to long to share on her comments:
1. Pack more than clothes for your first few days in your new home. Pack toothpaste, toothbrushes, toilet paper, a pair of scissors, ziplock bags, snacks, cups, paper plates, plastic silverware (or real unbreakable plates and silverware) towels, soap, paper towels, crockpot (if you plan to use it) and a few garbage bags. Also: Sheets for the bed and pillows. Trust me on this.
2.The second you get your beds set up in your new home, make the bed and DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON THE BED. It's nice to be able to collapse on your bed whenever you decide that you're done for the day. Having to sort through boxes to find bedding when you're about to drop is not fun.
3. If you're not moving far, setting up the crockpot when you arrive is a good way to not have to worry about dinner. If you want to order out, be sure to look up the phone numbers and directions to food places *before* you leave your old house. No more scrambling to find a phone book or getting lost in your new neighborhood!
4. Don't forget your pet stuff as well, if you have pets. Be sure to change the tags on your dog and cat with your new address or at very least a cell phone number before you move. Pets can dart out the door and it may not be noticed for awhile in the confusion. Make sure they can find their way home again!
Happy moving! Head on over to Crystal's to discuss your moving tips.