Friday, January 02, 2009

Eating Like Kings Day 2: Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms wiith Brown Rice


We love mushrooms at our house, especially those big meaty port0bello mushrooms! That's why I was thrilled to find these organic mushrooms on markdown!

We used them to make one of my most recent crockpot favorites, Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms. It's super easy and completely delicious. I served it on a bed of brown rice with green beans on the side. Because there is not much "gravy," I whipped up a packet of organic vegetarian brown gravy that I had in my cupboard. Delicious!


Here's the cost breakdown:

Mushrooms: $2.29

Tomatoes: We used tomatoes from our garden that I'd frozen.

Olive Oil- 2 T, about .50 cents worth

Balsamic Vinegar: Oops, forgot to put it in...but it was still good!

Misc Spices- about .05 worth

Cheese- I was out of Parmesan and did not realize it until after I started. Oops again. I substituted some cheddar I had around and it turned out okay, but the Parmesan had more flavor! The cheese was 1.66 for 8 oz, and I used about 3 oz, or about .60 cents worth.

The brown rice was $2 for a 2 pound a bag. We used 1/4 of the bag, or about .50 cents worth. We had lots of leftover rice too, so we will incorporate that into another meal or eat it for lunch!

The gravy was on markdown for .19 cents a pack.

The green beans were purchased at the last 10 for 10 sale. We used 1/2 of the package, or .50 cents worth, with leftovers that will be incorporated into another meal or eaten for lunch.

Total: $4.63, or $1.54 a person, with leftover rice.

4 comments:

Jenny's Vegcafe said...

This looks so good I'm going to have to try it. I think both my kids would eat it too.

Unfortunately, I'm not finding all those great manager's specials like you do.

Mrs Flam said...

I saw a Portabella Mushroom Kit in a Garden Catalog the other day , i wonder if its worth the frugality of growing them ?

HMMM. I love portabellas.

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog...love it! Could you help out the English major in me...and spell it "oops" instead of "opps?"

(I know, I know -- the editor part of me tends to be a bit weird about these things.)

I'm looking forward to reading more about you and your family in coming months.

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Hi Cindy- thanks for the good eye. I fixed it. :) You'd never believe that I have a Master's in English if you read my entries before I run the spell check. ;)

I tell my students- spell check does not catch *everything* so carefully proofread. I should take my own advice!