When people hear that I'm a coupon nut, they make many assumptions about my family's diet. It is assumed that we eat nothing but packaged food, never eat organics, don't eat any meat...in general, that we don't follow any type of healthy diet.
There is an idea that healthful eating and frugal budgets simply cannot go together. There is an idea that the only budget food is Raman Noodles and rice, canned soups and mac 'n cheese. I am getting mighty tired of these myths, and I've decided to take the month of January to shatter them! Check back each day to see what we're eating and how much it is costing us. I typically spend anywhere from $100-$200 a month on groceries, which feeds three adults. Join me as I examine what you can do with a budget...see you on January 1st!
10 comments:
I spend about $150/month for two people on groceries (including cleaning supplies, household necessities, etc.). I live in Costa Rica, but the cost of food is only a bit lower than in the States. In order to economize, I make up a weekly menu (so we only buy exactly what we need). We usually eat vegetarian 4-5 nights per week, because meat is expensive here. We buy very few processed goods, both because they're expensive and for our health. I'll be so interested to see how another frugal cook makes healthy, from-scratch meals on a budget!
Catherine,
I can't wait to see you posts in January! We get the same assumptions too, when I tell people that I am an avid couponer or "hound." When they see our meal plans every week, they are amazed that I can feed that to my growing family on under 60 dollars a week(including toiletries, baby items and pet items).
Since we are trying to cut our grocery budget in half (due to my husband being laid-off from work) I can't wait to see what you come up with!
I will be anxiously awaiting these posts. We eat organic/gluten free out of necessity, and spend about $1000/month on food. It's about to kill us. We have GOT to find a way to get a handle on it without sacrificing our health in the meantime!
Once you cut out things like soda and chips, the bills goes down.
I've done *very well* with my daily diet of beans, eggs, fresh veggies and fruits, frozen berries, olive oil, yogurt, cheese and whole wheat flour. A big pot of satisfying black bean soup, whole wheat calzones stuffed with veggies, eggs, and cheese, spicy gazpacho with avocado and tofu, etc. Last month I made six loafs of bread, 15 hearty stuffed pockets, 24 soft pretzels, and two pizzas for under $15. I wouldn't have believed it until I did it myself!
I do collect coupons for non-perishables, but I use them mostly to buy items for food pantries.
Allison
OOHH this sounds like a great idea! Please include when you go shopping throughout the month, how you plan your meals, and perhaps even your shopping list? Thanks!
This is going to be a great series! I am always looking out for new budget-eating ideas that are tasty and healthy.
Oh, I can't wait!
Catherine ~
You've inspired me to post my on meals in January (to get myself inspired to do more from scratch cookin')
Peace!
Ruthie
Great Idea. Last month I had planned to eat up many of the items collecting dust on our pantry shelf...but that didn't happen. I'll look to your blog for inspiration. My resolution for 2009 will be to eat out less, and eat in more. I know we can trim some spending from our budget and save more towards our goal of buying a home without a mortgage.
Post a Comment