Friday, December 19, 2008

This just in: I'm a selfish, miserable miser who is ruining the economy!

Well, maybe it's a little less dramatic than that.

Awhile ago, I wrote a piece about how we could not afford as much as people seem to think that we can. My husband earns a decent income, and at the time I wrote it, I was earning some serious extra money as a contract worker. People who are close to us could guess that we were in a decent income bracket, and we sometimes got "why are you not doing/buying X? You can afford it!"

I was reminded of that attitude on Wednesday, when I heard this commentary by Will Wilkinson on NPR as I got ready in the morning. Did you hear that?

I understand the basic we have to buy stuff to keep the economy rolling concept of hour our economy works. But to hear that I was part of the problem by daring to save my money and have a moderate Christmas? I alarmed my husband and our roommate by yelling "Are you SERIOUS!?!?" to the radio.

The attitude that frugality=misery and hard times is alive and well. Mr. Wilkinson states:

For those who've lost a job, are dealing with reduced hours or wages, or face a real risk of economic pain, it's plain sense to do what it takes to make ends meet in lean times. Cancel Showtime, pile on the sweaters, go unto the checkout armed with coupons. When you have to do it, belt-tightening's no joke.

But, gladly, most Americans don't have to -- not even in this economy.


It's true that, in theory, I don't have to use coupons, could crank up the heat, and get cable. But it was my understanding that spending more means you have less in savings. Because we don't have these things, we'll be in a much better position that we would have been if my husband does lose his job. He already went on reduced hours with little warning, so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

While we pray for the best, we always have a plan B in case the worst happens. Because we always use coupons and live frugally all the time, cutting back won't be a punishment if the worst happens. For the most part, we will continue living exactly as we do now, minus a few extras that we do enjoy. It will be a minor lifestyle bump, not a major lifestyle makeover during a stressful and uncertain time.

I suppose what gets me about this whole commentary is the underlying assumption that scaling back is bad, that frugality is a last ditch measure, that saving your money and not engaging in reckless consumerism is a recipe for misery for all involved. States Mr. Wilkinson:

But if you're blessed with good fortune in these hard times, you're not helping anyone if you let frugality chic stop you and yours from having a very Merry Christmas indeed.


Yes, because the only way to have happiness at Christmas time is to spend money, and frugality is just a fad that we should not really be following unless we have to.

If living below your means and be prudent with your spending is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are definitely on the same page here!

I admit, my sense of frugality is still in its infant stages. We just bought our first house and I am learning to face a lot of grown up realities. At the same time, I find that we need "everything" and nothing. There are so many things that one is "supposed" to get when she gets a new house, but I am just afraid of that consumerist slide in which one purchase leads to 45 more.

I am really glad that we found one another.

Blessings,
Marisa

DarcyLee said...

"While we pray for the best, we always have a plan B in case the worst happens. Because we always use coupons and live frugally all the time, cutting back won't be a punishment if the worst happens."

You're so right about that. So many people are doing without now and it's very hard on them because they aren't used to doing without cable tv, going out to eat, or spending hundreds of dollars on each child for Christmas. My grandma used to tell us about growing up in the Depression. There were no birthday parties, only potatoes for dinner many nights, and no new clothes.

The logical and wise thing to do with our finances, to me, is to have a plan B and be ready should anything happen, not to spend while we can. Unfortunately, far too many people aren't willing to sacrifice unless they have to.

Jenny's Vegcafe said...

Does Mr. Wilkinson realize that when you save money you generate a surplus. A surplus allows you to do things like have a down payment on a home, pay your bills in times of hardship, or to help others in need.
How in the world is that bad for the economy? Regardless of what he says- I am not going to quit buying second hand, using coupons or scaling back as I see fit regardless of how "selfish" that may make me.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your last sentence there. Me too!!!

I do not like hearing more of the same stupid advice that got our country into this mess in the first place. We all need to be more sensible with our money, not be silly with it because we can. Sheesh. I would have been talking to the radio too! :)

Jennifer

GFCFCooking with Kids said...

I wouldn't give this guy a second thought. I've heard several comments by people who tell us to spend, spend, spend. The truth is that Americans are starting to wise up to the error of our past spending ways. Now, we are trying to change those ways and be frugal and responsible with our money by cutting back on spending, saving money and paying off debt. People who are advocating against frugality in times like this are asking us to run ourselves into the ground "for the good of the economy". Generally, these are also the people who believe in the economic philosophies that got us into this situation in the first place so it's a sort of CYA tactic.

Keep doing what you're doing and don't give it a second thought. Our duties are to our families first - making sure our financial situations are secure.

CarolinaKid said...

Sheesh!! I wonder where this guy got his thinking from? I agree with all the other posts here that (1)frugality is not a fad and (2)the livestyle he is supporting is unsustainable. Too many of us are seeing our hours decrease, our wages decrease, or our jobs disappear altogether, while the cost of groceries and utilities continue to rise. Just today, I learned that my employer is cutting wages by 10%. While that's better than no job at all, if I spent like the NPR commentator says, I'd be in a big mess about now...

Ellen said...

Actually, it's really saving that gets the economy rolling again. Banks, etc. have more money available to lend which lowers rates, businesses can expand easier which hires more people, etc.

Frugality is the way of the future! it's also good for the environment since it lessens the amount of new things we have to produce.

American Dreamer said...

You are so right on with this post! Never let anyone tell you how to spend your money! It is yours and you do with it what you want. After all no one is going to pay your bills, college for kids or retirement for you but you!

Besides, there will be plenty of people out there this Christmas charging up their credit cards for gifts that aren't needed to keep the economy going!

Anonymous said...

Lordie! The guy's a moron. Lookit: the reason we're IN this fix is that everyone, our beloved leaders included, spent beyond their means.

The economy would be in a lot better shape if most Americans lived within their means. If people had not bought mortgages they couldn't afford and run up vast credit-card debt at usurious rates, most of us would have enough cash to pay for a "very merry Christmas, indeed." And a lot more of us would still be employed.

Paula Wethington said...

Here's my thinking:

One more southeast Michigan family who is saving money from tips I put on my blog might mean one more family who has figured out how afford to stay in their home, or who can keep their kids' routines as normal as possible.

And that would be a very good thing.

Anonymous said...

The recession is not the fault of people who are frugal and refuse to spend money carelessly.

It's the fault of the rest of America who's need for "Instant Gratification" has overthrown the economy and made the nation dependent on credit.

No wonder the government is offering to let banks and companies "borrow" bail out money - loans are the American way!

momstheword said...

I figure these people aren't going to be around to help me if I got into a mess, so I will continue to live carefully, thank you very much!

We always live pretty carefully but we are going to be even more frugal as we go on a financial "diet" so to speak, in order to meet furture goals.

Years ago my husband was out of work for a year once, and I learned alot about living frugally. Now he has a job, but living wisely (although we could be wiser) is a comfort in times like this.

My friends who spend more don't seem to be any happier than I am, and they have the added stress of bills that I don't have. Where's the fun in that?

I look forward to reading more of your blog!

Anonymous said...

The gist of this journalist's attitude is both insulting and profoundly ignorant. We plow every bit of money we save into paying off our mortgage ahead of schedule. Does that not help the barely solvent banking sector stay afloat?

But you know what is most glaring about his statements? My frugality chic doesn't stop me and mine "from having a very Merry Christmas indeed." Why would it? We don't build our experiences on consumption. We had 8 gifts under the tree for the two of us, 6 of which were from siblings and our parents. We had a great Christmas and were thrilled that we got very few gifts that we neither needed nor wanted. Had those few gifts not been under the tree, I would have been *more* merry, not less.