Thursday, December 11, 2008

Three Things Thursday: Three Ways We Earn Money From Home

Happy Thursday!

It's been a long year with my husband having reduced hours at work and my layoff. That surely gave us motivation to find little way to earn money on the side! I never knew that there were so many ways that you can earn money from home until I started blogging.

I'd read about all the little ways that stay at home moms pulled in a little income without much time, but I did not try any of them until the past year our so. Here's a few of the things my husband and I are currently doing. There's several more that I'll discuss later this week, but here's a few that you could get started on today!

1. Cash4Books. Do you have extra books laying around? Sell them to Cash4Books. How much you get depends on the kind of book. They pay the shipping. I don't even leave my home, I just arrange carrier pickup. For the minimal amount of effort required, it's not a bad extra bit of money. It's not going to make you rich, but little bits add up. They PayPal the funds to you promptly- I've never had a problem!

(Sidenote: I often post the books that Cash4Books does not want on Paperback Swap. That does not give money, but you can get another book from another member, which is awesome too. Get rid of books you don't want and order books you do want!)

2. Freelancing: This took awhile to get into, but I do small amounts of freelancing here and there. My biggest client is one of the universities I work for, where I critique papers for the writing center on a freelance basis. I only deal with the overflow, so it's either feast or famine. I also write pieces here and there for a variety of clients, and occasionally proofread or edit papers. I have not pursued this as aggressively as I could be, but the occasional job has added a nice chunk to our bottom line.

3. Tutor.com- This has been very lucrative for my husband. I have tried to get on for awhile, but they currently have plenty of English tutors. (I'm sad- but I keep checking!) However, my husband is skilled at higher math, and he's been tutoring Physics and Trigonometry for several months now. He just works a few hours a week and it's added a nice supplement to our income.

What ways do you earn money from home for little time investment? Share in the comments!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great ideas!

I've been selling on half.com for quite a while. I have tried eBay sometimes too, but that's much more work. Half.com is good for things with some value that cash4books won't take. It takes longer to sell on half.com, since you must wait for a buyer to choose your item.

I've been doing youdata.com lately too. Just little bits of money, but it is deposited in your paypal account each week, which is nice. It's very quick once you set it up.

Jennifer

Brandon Checketts said...

When selling your books, you might want to check their value on BookScouter.com. It compare the prices that 30+ websites are all willing to pay for your book so that you know that you are getting the highest price

Anonymous said...

Good post, Catherine! I'd add (having just asked my professor parents about this) that this is an excellent time of year to contact universities about part-time lecturer or tutoring positions, as they often have to fill last-minute holes.

~Holly from http://www.SustianableSuppers.com

Anonymous said...

In the past I think you mentioned making a little money doing surveys for a firm that had "Pinecone" in its name. Do you still find that to be worthwhile? Do you have tips for getting started? As I remember I got bogged down trying to figure out how to get started with them. I had also read favorable info about them on the "Survey Police" site.

Thanks for your interesting web site.