Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Eating Like Kings Day 12: Chinese Takeout


Ugh, today was awful. We were all way to busy and had not planned very well. What to do? Head out for burgers? Call out for pizza? It happens. As long as it is not every night, it won't kill your budget.

Even frugal types succumb to takeout every now and then...but how to make it more frugal?

We went with grocery store Chinese takeout- 5.99 for one entree, fried rice, two crab ragoons, and a soda.

I made some extra brown rice since we split this one meal between three people. When you take it out of the container and divide it between three plates, it's amazing how much food is there. There was plenty to share.

It was hardly healthy, but it was not quite as bad as all of us getting our own meal. Better on the pocketbook as well!

Cost Breakdown:

Kroger takeout: $5.99
Extra rice made at home: .25 cents

T0tal: $6.24, or $2.08 each

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your Krogers is a *lot* cheaper than Wegman's for Chinese takeout! I rarely eat Chinese, but last year I was craving it for a light lunch. I thought the clerk made a mistake for my $11 meal. Note to self: weigh, weigh, weigh.

Anonymous said...

You know, I have been following your posts and I love that you are posting pictures. In theory your menus are great but I wonder how much you supplement with snacks? I can't imagine asking my husband to share a portion of that size - he would eat it all, and part of mine too, and then say he is still hungry.

I often make something that I think will be dinner and lunch the next day too, but he will eat the portion I serve him and then the portions I intended for lunch too.

Is there some secret to getting away with smaller portions that I am missing??

Tracy said...

Looks yummy!

Jenny's Vegcafe said...

MMM, now I want some Chinese food.

What do you do for snacks though? Could you feature how to snack like Kings? I'm really enjoying this topic.

Anna said...

Some I'm wondering if food...or tax is cheaper in your area??? I'm amazed that you can spend between 100 and 200 a month on groceries.