Sunday, January 25, 2009

Eating Like Kings Day 20: Vegetable Beef Soup


It's a cold day and we were out of the house for most of it. Crockpot to the rescue! I dug around in my fridge and unearthed some veggies that needed using. Add a bit of the leftover beef, and we had a delicious vegetable beef soup waiting for us at the end of a long, cold day. I made a loaf of artisan bread from my fridge dough and we had a great meal. Yum!

Cost Breakdown:

Beef: We used leftovers- and we still have some left. That beef was a good buy!
Mushrooms: 1/2 a markdown pack at .86 cents
Organic Carrots: $1
Celery- on markdown, about .25 cents worth
Onion- .20 cents
spices- .05 cents

Total: $2.36, or .78 cents each. We have leftovers of this too, which will make wonderful work lunches!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I generally don't eat meat, but I *do* love beef stew! I'm going to price these ingredients this week, so thanks for the idea. And I believe I've just mastered French bread (water, yeast, flour, patience), so I should be enjoying a warm, comforting meal this week, too.