Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Daily Bread

I have become obsessed with the book Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. If you have not seen this book yet, get thee to your local library.

Today I made a loaf of Challah bread to go with the potato leek soup that's simmering in our crockpot.



I took a ball of the dough and divided it into three parts.


I then braided the parts. together and let the dough rest.

Just before I put it in the oven, I brushed some egg over it and sprinked on blue poppy seeds.

What a beautiful loaf of bread, with about 10 minutes of hands on time!

I'm not a novice baker, but I've tried several things using their method that I used to pass off as being too much trouble. I mixed up the fridge dough on Saturday and made beignets with part of it. They were delicious, and much easier to make than I expected. I still have some dough left for something else.

I also broke down and bought a silicon pad to bake on. (That's the blue thing you see in my pictures.) It was about $11 at my local Target. The dough is extremely sticky and you do need parchment paper or something to put it on. The one time cost of the silicon pad will pay for itself in no time at the rate I'm baking these days!

6 comments:

momstheword said...

I have made breadsticks and pizza but have never made bread. I want to try it though. I should probably get me one of those pads though.

AnnMarie said...

AFter a variety of folks like you talking about this book, I found the main recipe online two weekends ago and fell in love as well. The book should arrive from Amazon today. ;-) My dough is nowhere near as sticky as yours. It sticks to nothing, even without cornmeal it would barely stick. (Differences in humidity in our homes perhaps?)

Kate said...

Oh I've heard of this book! I tried one of the recipes, the one that was published in the newspaper, and it worked very well. I need to get the book out of the library! =)

~Kate
"Which Proverbs 14:1 Woman?"
http://proverbs14-1.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I have been loving that bread technique too. I learned the basics online and just got the book from the library - I am excited to try all kinds of things. Your challah is beautiful - I'll have to try that. :)

Jennifer

Thumperdd said...

Thanks for the tip on the book. I've been trying to bake bread for a few years now and just recently found one recipe that works for me.

Since the other comments are positive this book just moved to the top of my list.

Thanks again and great looking bread...beignets were on my mind this weekend...yum!

Anonymous said...

I love love love that book. I have only bought hamburger rolls and bagels since I bought that book. I have the basic recipe memorized. It makes bread baking so frugal!

I have a pizza stone that I bake on, and I use parchment paper to deal with the stickyness.

I use the regular bread dough for pizza and we can no longer 'stomach' the frozen kind. The home made stuff is easy and so much better!

To anyone hesitating: BUY THE BOOK!

Susan