Yesterday I wrote out my evening routine...then decided to start it "tomorrow."
Have you ever done that-gotten all gung ho about something then decided that tomorrow would be the best time to implement it? I do that more than I would like to admit. Sometimes starting tomorrow is okay, but more often than not, it's better just to start.
Here's how starting my evening routine would have made today easier if I had just *followed* it.
Issue One: I cleared off the counter and washed a dishwasher load of dishes, but neglected to empty the dishwasher and left the dinner dishes in the sink. It could have been worse, but it made getting breakfast together a bit more annoying since the sink was full of dishes.
Issue Two: I did not pack my teaching bag. Since I teach the same class to different students two days in a row, I thought I had it covered. Because I did not pack my bag or think about what we were doing today, I forgot that I needed to assign the students groups. I remembered this as I was about to sit down to breakfast. I had to run to the computer and print out a class list so I could hurriedly throw some groups together as I crammed down a granola bar and sucked down a cup of coffee. AGHHHH! Already behind at work, and I had not even walked in the door!
Issue Three: I don't usually eat lunch at work, but I have a meeting today so I needed to bring something. I meant to pack it before bed, but I forgot. Thank God for sale granola bars- I grabbed that and an apple on my way out the door. Stress!
Issue Four: I had planned on having steel cut oats for breakfast but did not set up the crockpot. At least a granola bar is easy to eat with one hand while you catch up on things that should have been done yesterday.
Issue Five: I did not put the chili ingredients in the crockpot. This is not a disaster, as I can make chili on the stove, but since I'm in meetings all day, it would have been wonderful to have dinner already taken care of.
If I had done my morning routine, my school work would have been done, my lunch would have been packed, my breakfast would be hot and waiting for me, I could have relaxed while I ate my breakfast, and I would not have to worry about cooking dinner when I get home tonight. Those things would not have taken long to do last night, but the fact they were not done cost me a lot of time this morning. I'm thankful that I had such a horrible day. It really illustrated the need for me to get back to my routines!
4 comments:
At least it's Friday. :-)
After reading your post yesterday I decided to do the hardest things first this morning. I got right into the shower, instead of vegging on the couch with my tea. I did the dishes (ok, I need to work on my evening routine, too). I got the stuff ready for my appointment to do my taxes, which I had scheduled for 8AM. I got up an hour earlier to accomplish all this, but you know what? I had a great day. By the time I got to my regular job I had the satisfaction of knowing that I won't go home to a sink full of dishes,that my taxes are at the accountant being completed as we speak. It really did make a positive difference in my day. THanks for posting!
I don't like waking up to a sink of messy dishes either! I have days where my routine gets off track to. But it's always so nice to jump right back into it. Try setting the timer and racing against it. That always helps motivate me.
I do the SAME thing. I always have a reason to "start tomorrow". I appreciate your honestly with us because it helps me feel better (these kinds of faults can often leave me in a state of self-loathing). You have inspired me to start doing things TODAY. Thanks :-)
Post a Comment