Friday, August 28, 2009

Under the Weeds

I seem to have the blogger flu that is going around. Meredith at Like Merchant Ships has has *sob* all but quit blogging (and will be missed- check out her Food for Thought, which is still going!), Anne at Married to the Empire is slowing down, and Lynne at Being Frugal recently admitted some struggles. I relate to all of them on some level.

I've slowed down quite a bit for a variety of reasons, the main one being my insanely busy summer. I've missed blogging, but on my list of priorities, I've had to put it towards the bottom for awhile. Like Lynne, I am an introvert, and I've had way too much going on and way too little time to recharge. When I am drained, I am DRAINED. Yesterday was my first "off" day in nearly a month, and I slept through most of it. I did not mean to, but my body simply refused to let me get up. Sometimes your body makes you do what is best for yourself. I've been feeling so open, so raw for the past few months, and taking that one day to sleep was so healing.

I sometimes feel bad when I'm not getting it all done. I have to remind myself that I'm human, I am a single person, and I don't have to do everything. It's not my job to do everything- just everything I can without losing myself in the process. I decided to let a few things in my life go for the busy season.

One of them was my garden. I had already planted, so I kept it up on a (very, very) minimum level, but not nearly as much as I should have. It's being choked out by weeds, and we've recently discovered that the "roots" we've been cutting through the past few years is actually Bermuda grass. I've not had the energy to deal with it, so it's been slowly taking over this year's plants.

I was encouraged today. When I finally got out to the garden to attempt to deal with the mess...peeking out through the weeds and mess, there were some ripe tomatoes. There are watermelons hiding in the high grass, and I'm sure that if I dug a little, I'd find some onions. Fruit appeared, even when all I could handle was watering the garden. I did what I could do, and while I surely would have a better harvest had I been out weeding, my small amount of work is not in vain.

We can't be perfect. Sometimes, we can only keep our head above water. That does not mean we will not be fruitful- we just have to look harder in weeds for the fruit.

1 comment:

Lynnae said...

Great post, and you know I relate! Take care of yourself, and the rest will fall into place.