Friday, September 25, 2009

Clothes By the Pound


I mentioned in my last post that I bought 12 pounds of clothes at a clothes by the pound place in Boston, and I've gotten a lot of questions about that. Here's the scoop:

A friend of mine lives in Boston, and he's also a bargain shopper. He made a special point of showing us The Garment District, which is an alternative department store/costume shop. They had A TON of secondhand and vintage clothes, plus their famous clothes by the pound area! (pictured above.)

My husband scurried off to a museum, and I spent three hours sitting in a nest of clothes with a garbage bag. You can check your purse and shoes at the desk. You can even try on the clothes in the bathroom if you like! It's definite bargain digging in the most literal sense- they had a gazillion types of clothes in different sizes, but most of them were in reasonable shape. I dug through and replaced my entire winter wardrobe with Land's End clothes, Gap shirts, and even a long, dressy, wool coat. They had purses, shoes, accessories...you name it, they had it. I bought 12 pounds for around $18, which beats even my yard sale prices. I'm most excited about the coat- it's in perfect condition and it is beautiful. I took it to the $2.00 dry cleaner when I got home, and now it's ready to go. I'm almost excited for winter this year- I've never had so many "new" things to wear!

If there's something like this in Wichita, I don't know about it. I'll have to do some research.

Do you have a clothes by the pound place in your area? How did you find it? Is it worth the digging? Sing it in the comments!

3 comments:

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

That is seriously cool! But it looks like the sort of place you have to enter with your patience firmly intact!

I'll have to look to see if Dallas has anything like that.

Goosey said...

We used to have one of these places in our town but sadly it has gone now. Lucky you.

Anonymous said...

Can not wait to try it out! Thanks.

Andrea