Sunday, October 04, 2009

Intro: Living on Less

People often fixate on my husband's fairly lucrative job when money discussions come up.

"Oh, you don't understand because your husband makes a ton of money. You don't understand what it's like to struggle to pay the bills! We *have* to live on credit cards or else we would not even have the basics! There's no way you can live on under X amount. It's literally not possible"

But we do understand. We do. And we did manage to save, even when we had nothing. Just because we're in a better financial position right now does not mean that we were always there.

The first year we were married, we earned $17,000 combined. That is both our incomes. $17,000. This week, I'm going to over how we made that work without debt. It is possible, but only with a lot of planning and willingness to make it work!




2 comments:

Rita said...

I sure understand your position. I am trustee for my mother. Her husband left her quite a bit of money. I can spend this money for her care since she had a massive stroke after cancer treatment 9 years ago. Mother is in the nursing home and her medical insurance is high. One of the girls that worked at the bank gave out bank information that was false. Just because the money is under my name it does not mean that money is mine. When mother passes any money that is left will go back to my step dad's daughters. I have lost the closeness of precious friends over this. They somehow think I have a lot of money that I was not honest about. Misunderstandings like this can be oh so painful. I have had to struggle to sell rental homes in this awful economy and this girl spreading false information has really hurt my friendship with my best friend. I Tried to explain but my friend said if the money was in my name then it was my money.

Barb J. said...

Looking forward to it!