Friday, January 08, 2010

Getting "the look"

You get some strange reactions of other people when it comes to frugal habits, so I thought it may be fun to share the three items we do that some people find strange. Here's the three things we do that get "the look" most often:

We wear secondhand clothes almost exclusively.

We shop with a ton of coupons.

We don't have cable TV.

Today I'm going to address cable, since it is the one that tends to come up most often. Nobody questions what I have in my lunch, and once I'm wearing an item nobody has to know that it's secondhand.

Cable does come up remarkably often. "Did you catch that show/special/series" is watercooler talk. "What's your favorite show?" comes up as small talk sometimes in a way that "Hey, did you pay .99 cents for that fabulous dress?" simply does not. We don't mention frugality one way or another to most people, but cable sometime outs us.

What is so shocking about not paying for TV? Really, by the reactions that we get sometimes, you'd think that we had admitted that our dream was to live in a house made of gumdrops and chocolate.

For me, not having cable is not a sacrifice at all. I grew up without it. At one point in my childhood, I lived in a foreign country where we were only able to get one channel. (My mother said it was a blessing that my sister and I were missing so much of the American advertising. The "commercials" on this single station were classics like this and this.) For me, it is not a deprivation because I never really knew what it was like to have it.

My husband grew up with it, but he and his roommates did not want to shell out the bucks in their college apartment. He said he did not miss it at all.

We used to say that we'd get it if they ever came out with a "Nerd Package" that had History Channel, TLC, etc only. One of the best things about staying in hotels was watching all the shows on those networks! However, the last few years we've noticed that the quality of the programing has gone way down. The networks we once loved to view are now filled with watered down shows and reality TV programming. We will no longer even consider the Nerd Package.

For the TV that we do watch, we depend on the channels that our digital converter box delivers. That does not mean that we don't watch any cable programming. This year we enjoyed Six Feet Under (from the library), Mad Men (library), and The Daily Show (be sure to click Full Episodes!). My husband watches football games in real time on ESPN. Hulu provides a remarkable amount of programming, although they may go to a pay model soon. There is an excellent website here that walks you through how to get many of the shows you want without having to pay.

For now, I'll put my money in the bank and endure "the look." Plus it makes and excellent frugally blog entry!


Which of your frugal habits gets "the look" most often?

12 comments:

Akehia said...

Great post! We do all 3 of those things too. The only things we don't buy secondhand now are groceries and personal care items. There's a fabulous selection of about 10 great secondhand stores within a 15-20 mile radius of where we live. We haven't missed cable, and we do get opportunities to watch now and then when we're away from home. My DH also watches games and such online when we can't access them via the converter box.

brokeintrovert said...

We haven't missed cable at all. We recently signed up for Netflix...I was getting a lot of library fines for not returning movies back on time. Netflix is quite inexpensive compared to cable...and you don't have to watch the same movies over and over.

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

The fact that we dont have cable gets us the most looks. Second is the fact that we don't eat fast food to save money.

Missy said...

I get the super basic cable: the first 23 stations for $8.33/month and the only station I miss is NESN which has Red Sox games.

Lisa said...

I also don't have cable and rely on the library a lot for shows. When people asked what to get the kids for Christmas, I suggested iTunes gift cards. They can buy seasons of their current favourite shows with the cards and watch them on the computer.

My plan is to go tv-less when mine dies and watch shows on the computer. I did purchase a larger monitor during sales and got an excellent deal on it.

Stacy said...

We used to have digital cable before we moved, so we never got a converter box. Now that we don't have cable, we don't even get TV on the TV. My husband has become Hulu's biggest fan, however, and we still have Netflix.

I would say we get a bigger reaction over not having a microwave, though. So weird.

Jenny's Vegcafe said...

We did have DTV and tivo with the cheapest package. I miss the tivo more than I miss the extra channels.
We do Netflix for 9 a month and frequently watch our shows (like The Office) on Hulu. I don't miss paying $40 a month at all. I am not missing out on much either.

Unknown said...

I am inspired...but still a little nervous about getting rid of our cable. I love Hulu and other free tv sites, but we also watch a lot of HGTV, Food NEtwork (and my DH watched Military Channel all the time). After reading this post, and the comments, though, I think we could do it. And it would save us $57.00 per month.

Amiyrah said...

Such a great post! I just did a post on the one thing that we DON'T do frugally, and cable was it. The best part about all of us frugalites is that, although the rest of the world doesn't realize this, we are diverse. The best part about being frugal is that you can pick and choose what you want to be frugal about. Cable and movies are our "vice" and we make sure to be diligent with everything else so we can truly enjoy it. I have many frugal friends that don't partake in cable, buying DVDs, or seeing movies and I think they are awesome for it.

Way to get us talking :o)

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Funny you should post about this, as I have a cable post planned soon, too. We went 8 years without cable after having dumped it when I quit teaching to be a SAHW. We ordered it again 2.5 years ago. We've been talking the past few months about canceling it again. Why? Because there's rarely anything on worth watching! We pay something like $40/month to flip through the guide and find nothing of interest to watch. Ridiculous.

We're now set to go off cable February 1. My dad sounded really annoyed about it, as he just bought us a fancy-schmancy new TV. He seems to think that we're going to miss out on the HD benefits.

Here's what we're doing instead: My husband got an X-Box for Christmas and for $50/year, he has something called X-Box Live. That allows internet something-or-other. For $8.99/month, we've subscribed to Netflix and can get DVDs through the mail AND through the X-Box with an On Demand option. That's a ton of programming for approximately $14/month. WAY cheaper than the cost of monthly cable! And it's all in HD, which isn't terribly important to me, but my hubby seems enamored with it, as most men are.

No, we're not going the totally free route, but we are going cheaper. We can afford cable, but we're choosing not to. Again. It's just not a good value, IMO.

Alex M said...

We get cable because hubby is a sports junkie and he deserves that one indulgence.

I get eye rolls when I mention that I make pet food. It's not just that I feed raw, but it's that I put all of my scrap veggies into the food processor and grind them up for the dog. I even do that with chicken bones after I make stock.

Not so frugal friends hate it when I suggest they could add some "real food" to their pet's meals -- for free!

Sheila P said...

I know "the look" because we are getting rid of cable as soon as our contract is up. Nice to know so many others are as nutty as us - I think we are in good company!