Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Saving On Textbooks

When I was in college, my parents made me a pretty sweet deal. They'd pay tuition and room and board for me. However, I had to pay fees and for my college textbooks.

As anybody who has taken courses that require textbook purchases knows, books cost a lot. Not as much as tuition/room and board (Thanks Mom and Dad!), but to my 18 year old self, it seemed insane how much I was going to have to shell over. I worked hard for that money, and I wanted to keep as much as possible.

Even fresh out of high school, I was a comparison shopper. I quickly learned that the bookstore rarely had the best deal. In both college and graduate school, I rarely purchased textbooks at the bookstore.

My current job gives me the same deal- they'll pay tuition, but textbooks and fees are on me. Now that I take classes with my work benefits, I continue to use the same strategy, outlined below:

1. Check the library. Not just your college library- be sure to check out inter-library loan and any other borrowing privileges you may have at your college library. I went to college in Colorado, where we had Prospector. This linked up all the University libraries and some public libraries in Colorado. I was usually able to renew. When I had to turn a book in, I'd check the computer to see if it was on hold. If not, I'd put it back on hold immediately. I usually got it back in a few days. I was not able to get everything at the library, but I was surprised at how much I did get.

Be sure to check the public library in your college town as well. I was able to get a library card for the town I was in even though I was just a college student who lived in the dorms.

2. Check the bookstore's website or the store. Don't buy yet! See how much the books are and get the ISBN number of all the books you need. Now most bookstores have this information online, so you may not even have to leave your home.

3. Go online. I start with Amazon because I find they usually have the best used prices. This semester, I used my Swagbucks gift cards to pay for part of my Amazon textbook order!

Search by ISBN number so you can be sure you're getting the correct edition, etc. Then head out to the other options. I like to go to Ebates and type in "textbooks" in the search box. It will come up with several options that you can check out, PLUS cash back if you buy there! Score! If you find a book cheaper than the bookstore option, you can order here. Be sure to account for shipping!


4. Bookstore: If you have not found books significantly cheaper, you can head to the bookstore. Be sure to check if your bookstore has any type of rewards program, discount for student workers, etc. Be sure to get their return policy and KEEP YOUR RECEIPT.


Rent Textbooks


Other options: Craigslist has a place to list textbooks. Every college I've attended/worked at has a boards all over campus filled with fliers from students who are selling their textbooks. You can rent textbooks online. My husband used to trade with his roommate (who had the same major) for the semester. You can also try services like Paperback Swap, but I have not had much luck for textbooks with them.

How do you save money on textbooks?

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Great tips! I also made heavy, heavy use of half.com. Also, many times you can get publisher's review copies of the textbooks for very cheap at resale sites. The page numbers may not completely match up, but it's worth it to save!

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Well, I haven't had to buy any in years. In fact, buying books online were not an option in my college days! Wow, I sound so old! (But I'm only 36.) Anyway... I'm a fan of this site: http://www.betterworldbooks.com. I know they have textbooks, because they advertise it often. I suggested this site to a young friend last year, as he was looking for cheaper books. He came back a week later saying, "THANK YOU!" Apparently, they had what he needed for way less.

That company has an interesting goal, which is to keep books out of landfills and to help the cause of literacy. I've only ordered from them a couple of times, but I've been pleased with the transactions. The books aren't always in stellar shape, but they let you know the condition of the books before you buy.

DanielleS87 said...

My favorite websites for buying textbooks are:
abebooks.com
half.com
amazon.com
alibris.com
betterworldbooks.com

I used to also check other websites, but I found that the above five almost always had the best prices.