Monday, February 27, 2006

It's cheaper to eat at home

In my quest to stop my unfrugal habit of eating out, I've decided to calculate how inexpensive it is to eat at home for each meal I make. Maybe seeing the numbers will help keep me from temptation. Here's tonight's total for delicious black bean burritos. They are yummy and very easy to make. We reduced the recipe to two servings, but still had leftovers.

The ingredients were almost all bought on sale, which is how I can keep my total so low. Even paying full price for everything, the recipe would not be terribly expensive, and definitely cheaper than the 10-15 dollars we spend eating out.

Here's out totals:

Cheese- .15 cents

Tortillas- .30 cents

Dried black beans- .30 cents (I soak them over night, cook what I need all day in the crockpot, and freeze any leftovers. )

Salsa .03 cents

Cream cheese- .05 cents (I got the cream cheese brick for .20 cents- happened to hit the about to expire reduced price cream cheese and I had a coupon! WOO HOO!)

Sour cream- .04 (also hit an about to expire sale- got 16 oz for .40 cents)

onion and green pepper: .10 cents

We did not use the cilantro mentioned in the recipe

Total for two people, with leftovers: .97 cents, or 48.5 cents each.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you haven't checked out relishrelish.com you should. I've started using that site and spend, on average, $65/week on groceries for five meals a week for two people. That, combined with your suggestion to try the Grocery Game has saved me LOTS of money! Thanks

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Thanks for the tip!

Alison Inaz said...

I love a good buy and being frugal, too, but how much of what you purchased will go bad before you use it?

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

None. I freeze things like crazy, and do not buy more than we can eat before it goes yucky in the freezer. But you're right- it's not a savings if you can't use it before it goes bad.