Thursday, April 13, 2006

Garage Sale Time is Starting!

I hit up a few garage sales that I saw today while out. I love garage sales! This is another weakness for me. I have to constantly remind myself NOT to buy things I don't need. Just because it costs a quarter does not mean that we need it! We have a wish list of things we're waiting to show up at great prices, so I have that with me during sale season. I will also buy clothes in good condition if they are a quality brand and inexpensive enough.

There were two sales today that had great name brand clothes! One was asking way to much for them and would not come down in price, so I moved on. (10 bucks for a used Old Navy t-shirt at a garage sale? That's more than I will pay in the store!) The next one had a very nice collection of Christopher and Banks clothes, which is one of my favorite brands. Sadly, they were not my size. Some size 10 petite woman is going to be very happy if she runs across that sale- they were asking a quarter for each piece!

A tip with clothes: Measure your current clothes and take a tape measure with you when you go. It's much easier than playing size roulette, since a size 12 in one brand may be a size 8 in another and a size 16 in another.

I did spend a dollar for three yards of very cute fabric. I'm going to make an apron as soon as my latest thesis draft is done and sent in!

6 comments:

Andi @ udandi / Lunch It Punch It said...

I love tag (ode to Martha) tags, too, and have blogged about the need for a list to stay on track!
Have you watched Find & Design and on A&E?

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Alas, I don't have cable, and shows like that are the things that make me want to get it. Is that the person who gets dinged up stuff and fixes it up? I saw some chairs today that were three bucks each, and with some elbow grease and paint, they would have been FAB!

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Eileen, you would have been in heaven! I was so sad that I'm not size 10 or petite! They were fabulous clothes, andI don't usually have much luck with great condition adult clothes!

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

Yeah garage sales! I agree-I have to keep chanting the mantra in my head:

"It isn't a bargain if you don't need it"

I need to make a list for this year of what I'm looking for and put it in the glovebox of the car. Otherwise it is soooo easy to get off track.

And BTW-I need to make another apron too. I've had fabric forever-it is actually a cloth shower curtian in a red and white country check. (wait-have we had this apron making coversation before?)

Mom2fur said...

Oh, I'm a garage sale junkie! I swear I go through withdrawal about October when they aren't around. I tell people my house is decorated in 'late 20th century garage sale.' My favorite thing is a hutch I bought and repainted white one summer. It's in my dining room.
Every year I find at least one 'buy of the summer.' Last year I got a gorgeous, heavy glass vase from Pottery Barn (still had the label on it) for $5. I looked it up and it sells for $35!
My weakness is any kind of rectangular or square storage box (round ones don't use space efficiently) and cookbooks.

Andi @ udandi / Lunch It Punch It said...

On Find & Design, the host meets a couple (or so that's all I've seen) who want to decorate a room with X amount of money. She helps them make a list of items to hunt and has then take measurements. at flea markets and garage sales she helps them haggle.

I haven't learned anything I didn't already know about this type of shopping, but it's fun to see their finished rooms!