Monday, February 19, 2007

The 40 Dollar Bathroom Makeover!

I've been wanting to paint the downstairs bathroom ever since we moved in. It was not a bad color, but it was very sterile and boring. I decided that I wanted some color in there! I did not want to spend more than fifty dollars. Here's what I was able to do for forty dollars.

Before

The walls were a beige color. It was nicely painted, but very blah. The roommate had a lavender bathmat and a black shower curtain, but I removed those before I took the picture.


After
I painted the walls a burgundy color. The previous owners of this house left that small carpet, so I moved it to the bathroom to be used as a rug. The small cabinet was in our upstairs bathroom, but we had been meaning to bring it downstairs for the roommate as he does not have very much bathroom storage. Since it did not really match, I put a piece of black fabric on top, and that helped pull the look together. The paint was 20 dollars at Lowes with my 10% off coupon. All the other money was spend on two new "brushed nickel" towel racks and face plates at Target.


If you look in the before picture, you'll see red towel racks. They're wooden, and I was going to paint them black with a pot of dollar paint I found on the discount paint rack. However, I happened to see these things at Target on clearance, so I went for it. I love how you can see the old paint under the new paint. It looks kind of weird in this picture, but the effect in the bathroom looks nice.


3 comments:

Mom2fur said...

I love it. It looks very elegant! Beige walls...blecch! Walls with color...yay!

Emmy said...

I love what a difference paint can make. What a great thrifty makeover.

Fatcat said...

Lowes frequently has cans of paint for $5.00 because people have mixed up the color and then didn't like it. I got a can of green that's a tad too dark, but I'm going to mix it with some white I already have.