Wow- I got a huge response (for this blog, anyway!) about my housekeeping notebook! I am in the process of revamping it to fit my life now, vs. when I was a full time graduate student and college instructor, so I don't have any pictures of mine to share right now, but I will when it is done! Since I have more time to put it together than I did when I first did, I'm making it more "pretty" and adding quotes, pictures, etc. I figure if it is pretty, I am more likely to want to look at it.
I used
Flylady's directions. She calls hers a control journal, and has
step by step directions on how to make one. If you are really busy, she
sells them as well. I know that many other people have household notebooks, and directions on how to make them are all over the internet.
The thing I feel like I need to tackle most right now is the closet. Or rather the closets. When we moved here, I threw a bunch of stuff in them, thinking I'd deal with it later. Well friends, later is here! I'm posting my before pictures today, and will work on them this weekend. After pictures will come next week. Without further ado:

This is my guest room/office closet. I'm having a guest next week and would like her to be able to *use* the closet. The animal supplies are kept here, but I may transfer them to the garage. There's also a lot of hay on the floor. Oh, and assorted random stuff.

More guest room closet. The white tubs have my husband's computer stuff, and the wood thing has my stationary and assorted random stuff in it. There's also my husband's glass chess board which I want to display in some way, but I can't figure out where, and it is a pain to dust. Very pretty though.

Another random shot of the guest room closet. Those boxes in the corner are mostly flat rate boxes for my e-bay items.

This is my hall closet floor. Let's see, a bag, a bike helmet, a big bottle of bubbles (very stress reliving!) and other assorted stuff.

Shot 2 of my hall closet. Not as bad as it could be, but there is a lot of stuff I need to go through. The red bag has a very messy pair of homemade ruby red slippers that my mom made for me as a going away present when I moved to Kansas. It's pretty much tons of red glitter glued to a pair of dress shoes. Think that will sell on e-bay?

We go through tons of plastic bags at my house, as we scoop out the rabbit litter box and the guinea shavings every single day. Still, there has to be a neater, prettier way to save them. We used to stuff them into tissue boxes, but we could never keep up with how many we had and also had to have several tissue boxes to keep up with how many we go through. Gah.
I will be doing the guest closet this weekend for sure. We'll see about the hall closet. Once those two are done, I need to tackle the laundry room.
6 comments:
1) Chess set: how big is it? You could store it under a clear glass dome like a cheese bell or even a bowl. Keeps the dust out!
2) Plastic bag management 101: Each bag goes into another bag which goes into another bag which goes into another bag which goes into a bag dispenser (available at dollar stores).
Tameran,
The bag dispenser it a great idea! I'll have to go to the dollar store and see if I can find one!
The cheese dome is also a great idea- the chess set is the size of a regular one- it's not a mini set or anything. I just don't have a table to put it on or anything, nor room to put a new table. When I figure that out, I'll keep my eye out for a cheese dome! That's a really good idea!
You can make a hanging "sock" for the bags. I've always wanted to do this since I saw one at a friend's house. You just sew a piece of fabric or mesh into a tube shape and do drawstrings at the ends. You hang it from the ceiling and then pull out one bag at a time. You can make it as fat or thin as you need, and it doesn't take up drawer, cabinet, or floor space.
Hah, that plastic bag collection looks so much like mine. I save them thinking I will use them, but I add like another 10-15 every week and I have so many now.
Creative Ways to Save for a Wedding
Here is what I do with my plastic bags. I saved an old garbage bag box. Like Glad that you pull the trash bags out of. I now stuff my plastic bags in there an pull out one as needed. I tried the bags inside of another bag but it was just another big clutter mess for me.
just throw all the crap away
Post a Comment