My goodness, I am tired! We had out of town guests this weekend, and instead of being able to regroup today, I went to work. I'm always amazed at how sitting and staring at paperwork makes me so tired. I can barely function right now, so it looks like an early bedtime for me! But you can still save money when you have no time. I'm rerunning and article I wrote in 2006 on that very theme, as a reminder that it is possible! This very minute, tomorrow's meatloaf is all ready in the fridge to be popped into the crockpot tomorrow morning. Lunches are already packed. Breakfast is in the freeze-muffins freeze beautifully and melt in no time in the microwave. Do not despair if you think you must be a homemaker to be frugal. It does make it easier, but that does not mean working people have no hope!
From 2006:
How Can I Be Frugal When I Have No Time?
My sister and I were discussing frugality the other day on the phone. She and I have always been opposites when it comes to money. My sister would always have her allowance spent the second she got it, from the time it was .50 cents a week until it was 16 dollars a month. (When we turned 10, we got however old we were a month until we turned 16 and could get a job.) She got herself into a ton of credit card debt in college. My parents helped her make a budget, and she paid off most of the cards. I'm so proud of her progress. She recently asked me for advice on how to save money, since she wants to start a better cash cushion for an emergency fund and pay off her remaining cards before her wedding next year. Ecstatic that somebody I knew actually wanted me to talk about frugality, I promptly sent her a copy of The Complete Tightwad Gazette.
A few weeks later I got, "These were very good ideas, but I don't have time to do all this frugal stuff! You stay at home! You don't know what it's like to be tired at the end of the day."
My sister works very long hours and currently lives alone. She frequently works 12 hour shifts, and she often works weekends and holidays.
Yes, it's true that I stay home currently, but that was not always true, nor will it always be true. I will say that it is much, much easier to be frugal now that I'm not out of the house 50+ hours a week. It's harder to be frugal when you're busy and tired, but it is not impossible. Even if you can only do a few things, something is better than nothing. If you read something like the Tightwad Gazette and expect to suddenly do all your own car repairs, bake all your own bread, eat food you grew in your own giant garden and shop only at garage sales, you will set yourself up for failure. Take small steps with things that you can fit into your lifestyle.
Here's some frugal things that were not terribly difficult to do even when I worked. They are small things, but a few small savings here and there add up.
Using a crock pot. I love my crock pot. I have two crockpots, so I can make and entree and a side dish, or one can be in the dishwasher while the other is cooking dinner. The secret to me actually using my crockpot was putting it together the night before. I would assemble the dish, put the crock part in the fridge, and put the heater part out on the counter so I would remember to start it. When I came home tired and hungry, dinner was ready. The internet has many recipes for the crock pot. My favorite crock pot cookbook (check the library) is Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook. It has great recipes that do not rely only on large cuts of red meat and canned cream soups.
Using Cloth Napkins. We got them for wedding gifts, but I see them at thrift stores all the time. Even if you buy them new at Wal-Mart, the cost is fairly small. We each have our own, and I throw them in the wash with the rest of the laundry when I do it. I do not change them for each meal or even each day. If it's more than the two of you, color coding may be helpful.
No cable TV. I was not home to watch it anyway, so why shell out the money?
Sign up for the auto pay option on your bills. This saves time and money. It saves on stamps, and if you're prone to paying late because you're so busy you forget to write a check, it can save you a hefty late fee. I was nervous about doing this at first, but all the places that I've signed up to do this send me a bill before they draw on the funds, so I know exactly how much they'll be taking. One of the best things I ever did.
Secondhand stores. Assess your needs. If you know you're going to need some new work outfits soon, start looking. Don't wait until you *have* to have a new outfit, then go out and buy one. Watch for signs of wear and tear before you need it, and start keeping an eye out at secondhand stores. This does take more time, but the savings are amazing.
Failing that, check out discount stores like Ross and Gordman's. I've gotten some of my best work clothes at these stores. Try to make sure everything you buy can be more than one outfit. Can you wear that blouse with your skirt and your slacks? Will that jacket go with more than the skirt is comes with? This really helps stretch your work wardrobe without breaking the bank.
Do the dishes and clean up the kitchen before you go to bed. I know you're tired. But keeping the kitchen even halfway clean will do wonders for your desire to be there. If I knew I was coming home to three days worth of dishes piled up in the sink and the breakfast mess on the table, I was far more likely to stop off at Qdoba for dinner. Frugal Mom mentions how keeping her kitchen clean helps her stay on track. If you keep it fairly picked up, it becomes easier to keep clean.
There are tons more ideas. The trick is to do small things that you can incorporate into your lifestyle and the time you have. It does not take longer to use a cloth napkin. It saves time to use a crockpot. It takes just as long to spend 2 dollars at Goodwill as it does to spend 20 dollars at Ross or 200 dollars at a fancy store.
My sister has dusted off her crockpot, and has reported that she already spends less at Wendy's. I'm so proud of her!
2 comments:
I love using my crockpot too. We also use cloth napkins, shop yard sales and thrift stores, clearance bins and I'm not the least squeamist about discount food items. I'll even admit that I've dumpster dived on occasion (not for food per se but for household stuff... even curb side shopped.. aka trash picked. lol.
Ever read Tightwad Gazette books by Amy Dacyzyn?
Great post. And I love the Tightwad Gazette book! I got that probably 15 yrs ago and I've referred it to so many people!
Thanks for sharing.
Sandy
Post a Comment