Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday: Saving a Trip to the Store With Homemade Dishwasher Detergent



Edited to add: It worked great! I went ahead and added the vinegar, since we do have hard water in my area.

One of my pitfalls to buying stuff on super sale is that I stock up so much, sometimes I forget that it is actually possible to run out! This is how I found myself with a dishwasher of dirty dishes and no dishwasher detergent. Opps! I was not about to run out to the store to fight the crowds and pay full price after working all day, so I took this as an opportunity to try making homemade dishwasher detergent! The load is running right now, so I can't comment about how well it works yet, but it got some good reviews on Meredith's blog, so I'm holding on to hope. In the meantime, it should work until I can get some of the sweet stuff for pennies on the dollar by combining sales and coupons. Hey, works for me!

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Hey,thanks for the link!

Do let me know how it worked for you. I haven't had any problems, but I understand the relative hardness of your water has a lot to do with its effectiveness.

Heather aka The Momma said...

BRILLIANT! I will give it a try! We're looking for ways to go green and save some bucks around our casa. Thanks for sharing!

Paula said...

Thanks for recipe. We are always purchasing our soap. When we run out, I'm going to try this. Thanks!