Monday, November 19, 2007

Christmas Series: Joyful Holidays

Next week I'm going to continue my Christmas Series on a happier note- the things we like to do and the stuff we find fun. What traditions do you and your family have? What makes your holiday joyful? Stay tuned for mine!

You know that temp job I had? The one that sprouted tons of overtime and mandatory Saturdays? I'm done with that one. I got a new job that started this week. It pays better, has more flexible hours, and is far closer to home. Yay for gas savings! Yay on being able to come home for lunch if I choose! I just thought I'd make that little announcement. This is a contract position, so it is not forever, which is just how my husband and I want it to be. :-)

4 comments:

Name: Jenni said...

Do you go through a hiring agency to get these jobs?

I loved your series last week and am looking forward to this week!

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Jenni,

Yep, I go through an agency. The first job was just a temp agency that I walked into, which is how I've gotten most my temp jobs through the years.

The new job is through a contracting agency. To be fair, I know several people at my new job, and they knew that the contract position was opening and told me exactly who to call.

Contracts last longer, but usually pay a whole lot better than temp. A lot of that depends on what you do and what your skill set is though. I've not had too many bad experiences in my temp jobs over the years. I do immediately state that I will not do call centers or phone support. I hate that kind of stuff, and a lot of phone/call centers are staffed by temps.

Hmmm...perhaps an article on temp work is in order...

Ruthie said...

How long is your contract position?

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

One of our traditions is to go to IHOP on Christmas morning. It's my birthday, and I used to feel frustrated that other women get to eat out on their birthdays, but I never did because everything is closed on my birthday. Except IHOP.

Now it's turned into a fun tradition in which any of our childless friends who are in town meet us at IHOP for brunch. They were pretty bummed when we weren't there last year because we were in London, so they had brunch without us!

It's just a fun and different way to spend the morning of the 25th. Not frugal, of course, but fun.