Monday, January 05, 2009

Eating Like Kings Day 5: Steak and Roasted Vegetables

It's hard not to feel prosperous when you're sitting down to a steak dinner!

We don't usually eat much red meat at our home due to cost and my husband's health concerns, but we do love it.

Sometimes I'll give into temptation if I find a family pack in the markdown bin. This pack as been in our freezer for awhile and I needed to use it or seal it before freezer burn set in.


We can make a big pack like this last for ages by using small amounts of it in different types of dishes, like stews and casseroles, but sometimes we'll just have a steak. Pair it with marinated roasted vegetables and you've got yourself quite a meal!

We also added some of the shrimp (not pictured) from the other day for an extra luxurious feel.

Cost breakdown:

Steak: We used about 1/4 of the package, so $2.29
Shrimp: 15 pieces at .07 cents each- $1.05
Mushrooms: 1/2 of a marked down to .99 cents bag- .50 cents
Zucchini: about .50 cents worth
marinade: Kraft Italian dressing, FREE with coupons. Score!

Total: $4.34, or 1.44 a person. Who says you can't have steak on a budget?

6 comments:

S said...

How often do you go to the grocery stores? How many different grocery stores do you go to? Thanks!

Cate said...

WOW. This makes me so jealous! I was so tickled by how much this meal cost you per person that I made my husband read the entry. His eyes bugged out. Good job!

Brooke said...

impressive for a steak dinner! :)

i shoot for $2-$4 a meal (for a family of 2) so this would even be within my budget - which usually doesn't allow for anything beyond ground beef or chicken.

DarcyLee said...

My husband loves steak. He found some that was a manager's special for 2.99 per pound. We're saving for Valentine's Day. Can't wait!

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

What a great deal, DL! I hope you enjoy your find. :) It tastes better if you know you've gotten a good deal!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Don't you just love those manager's specials? The kids have started spotting those stickers and when we find a treasure, they'll exclaim, "I *love* the manager!"

I don't want to make anyone jealous or anything, but we picked up filet mignon as manager's specials for 1.69 each. Wrapped in bacon, ready to cook. It was a super-fun special Christmas dinner. I told the kids to pretend they were rich and eating at a fancy restaurant.