Thursday, February 12, 2009

Bargain Meal of the Week (from Dillons!)


I'm thrilled to be on the list of bargain meal hunters over at $5 Dinners. This week I'm listing several things from the circular that could be considered good buys. I'm assuming that you have a Dillons Plus Card and no coupons. If you have coupons for these items, the deal is even sweeter! After the list I've included several possible meal ideas that include the sale items. The sales at Dillons in my area (Wichita, KS) run from Wednesday-Tuesday, so the prices below are good through February 17th!

Reasonably Good Buys:

  • Kroger Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts $2.33 per pound
  • Potatoes- $2.99 per 5 pound bag
  • Fresh Salad Leaf Lettuce $1.00 each
  • Kroger Tortilla Chips $1 per bag
  • Rosarita Refried Beans .85 cents a can (when you buy a case)
  • 16 oz Kroger Cheese Blocks $3.77
  • Kroger Value Cereal .99 cents (for 8-14 oz, selected varieties.)
  • Naturally Preferred Organic Milk $3.29 for 64 oz. (I know that you can get milk for less, but I am sticking with what is featured in the sale ad only!)
  • 5 lb bag Kroger Red Delicious Apples $2.50 (aka .50 cents a pound!)
  • Hothouse Beefsteak Tomatoes $1.49 per pound
  • Ocean Spray Juice Cocktail $1.98 for 64 oz

Possible $5 (or less!) Meals

Breakfast Corn Flakes with Organic Milk and Apples (Serves One)

Simple, easy, good!

1 cup corn flakes (.08 cents)
1/2 cup (4 oz) organic milk (.20 cents)
2 small apples (about 1/2 lb- or .25 cents worth)
1 cup Cran-Apple Juice Cocktail (8 oz- .24 cents)
Total: .77 cents

Baked Chicken with Baked Potatoes and Salad (click on links in the title for recipes- serves 4)

1 lb Chicken ($2.33) with 3/4 c. corn flakes (.08 cents for chicken coating)
You can use chicken stock if you have it. Water works if you don't.
1.5 lb potatoes (.88)
Salad with 1 head lettuce ($1) and 1/2 lb diced tomatoes .74. This is also a good time to use up random veggie leftovers before they go bad.

Note:I consider butter, salt, pepper (for the baked potatoes/chicken) and salad dressing (for the salad) pantry staples, so I did not include them in this cost calculation.

Total: $5.03

Friday Night Nachos (Serves 4-6)

Take 1 bag Kroger Chips ($1) and put into a casserole dish.
Spread 1 can refried beans on the chips (.85 cents)
Add 1/2 lb grated Kroger Cheese ($1.88)
Top with 1/4 lb cooked, diced chicken (.58 cents)

Put in a 350 degree oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Enjoy!
Total Cost: $4.31

Head over to $5 Dollar Dinners for more Bargain Meals!

No comments: