Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Monday Morning Mention: Time Warp Edition

My goodness, how time does fly.

We've had an insanely busy month, and it won't be less busy until at least mid-July. Our summers always seem to fill up so fast.

That said, we're having a great time for the most part. Being busy like this reminds us why we want to live a simple, quiet life. I don't even think we're busy by many people's standards, but it's plenty for us. I get brittle when I am overbooked, and would not do well in an environment where I had to work 80 hour weeks.

I've been quiet on the blog lately due to the aforementioned schedule, but I've been reading other blogs in spare moments. There have been an abundance of excellent posts the past few weeks. Here's a few I particularly enjoyed:

Dave Ramsey was on Marketplace Money
! We're almost done paying off my husband's school loan because we followed his advice. I love Marketplace as well. Their podcast is free.

Not the Jet Set shares some positive things that are coming out of the recession.

Not a website, but I just finished this book. It's a memoir about a woman who went to backpack in China with a friend shortly after it opened to foreigners...and then her friend had a complete psychotic breakdown. I have no idea how I would have handled the same situation. This book is a testament to the stunning kindness of strangers. Truly, some of the people who helped her must have been angels in disguise.

Writer Mommy says it like it is. I think it's important for mothers to say how hard it is sometimes. I am not a mom, but I know it can't be all sunshine and roses like some people make it seem. I don't think it's good to complain all the time, but the bad times are very real, and it does women a disservice to make motherhood seem perfect all the time.

I'm watching this new blog with interest- I think a lot of homemakers also work, and they'll enjoy this blog.

Butterfly Kisses is holding a fundraiser and needs giveaway items to help Baby Ian. I personally know Ian's mother Lynae from high school, and am so thankful that her baby Ian lived through the trauma he sustained at his babysitter's home.

2 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. Glad you're enjoying it! Now I'll have to go take a look at your recipe blog! YUM.

Michael Kit said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.